Chapter 9

I can't believe that Farkle and I used to be together. Not saying that I wouldn't want to be with him it's just that he's such an amazing guy. I don't deserve him.

I also can't believe that I broke up with him. He's like the best guy in the entire world. What the heck was going through my head to make me do that?!

My most recent memory actually might help me answer that. In the memory I was walking to class when Smakle came up to me. She told me that I need to stop getting in the way of other people's relationships and walks off as if she were the shit. Is that why I broke up with Farkle?

"Hey honey," Maya says as she enters the bay window.

I grab my bag and turn to her happily. "Lets go get breakfast."

"Wait," she stops me, "We need to talk."

I stop and sit with her in the bay window. I hope it's nothing too serious.

"What is it?" I ask in a concerned tone.

"I... can't tell you everything yet, but I want you to know that the reason Farkle and I havent been very close lately. I did something very wrong. I hurt my best friend."

I furrow my eyebrows. What does that mean? I'm her best fiend aren't I? How does she think she hurt me?

"Before your accident I did something awful that caused you my to be super upset. I'm so sorry."

I just shrug. "Maya I don't even know what you're talking about. So I guess we're okay. Right?"

She looks at me and nods slowly. "Yeah. Let's eat."

We go and have breakfast with the rest of my family. After that we go on the subway and enter the school.

I go straight to my locker with Maya behind me to see Farkle and Zay waiting for us.

"Where's the other two?" I ask as I get my locker open.

"Smakle is helping Lucas with math by the lockers over there and neither of us wanted to listen to it," Farkle explains.

"Yeah," Zay agrees, "I mean math is important and all, but still super boring."

I smile at his comment and close my locker.

"Farkle, I need to tell you something," I tell him quietly.

He turns to me. "What's up?"

"Um, I meant privately," I clarify avoiding Zay and Maya's weird looks.

"Okay," he says as he takes my hand and pulls me a little way from the others.

I tell him about my memory, but as soon as I finish I know he knows something I don't. His eyes fill with anger that I've never seen before and I'm sure something really bad is about to happen.

And I'm right.

Farkle turns and walks over to Smakle. He yells, "It was you wasn't it? You did it to her?" Before anyone can process what it is going the boy slams his fist into a locker near them making everyone in the hallway jump. Thank God it's still early enough that not a lot of people are here yet.

"Farkle calm down," Lucas tells him gently grabbing him by the shoulders.

"No! This is all because of you!" he points to Smakle before Zay pulls him down the hallway and out of sight.

Once they're gone everyone turns to me for answers. Sadly I have none and I really wish I did. Even though Smakle hasn't been the kindest person to me I still want to help her. I look at her and notice how shakes she is as she sits on the floor by the lockers. Not only does she look shocked that Farkle would do something like that, but she looks as if she's afraid everyone just found out her biggest secret.

"Earth to Riley," Maya calls out.

I look at her and realize that her and Lucas are both standing right next to me. They look at me with confusion in their eyes and I don't know what to tell them.

I'm just as lost as they are in all of this.