Chapter 24

No one knows what to do now.

We have two people dead, one that we actually knew, and no leads. Mr. Matthews seems to be missing because he won't answer Riley's calls, so we've hit a dead end.

But we can figure this out.

"This seems pretty pointless," Maya groans from the beanbag she's lounging in.

Smakle looks at her while staring at the recently updated bars of facts. "Maybe if you actually tried to help it wouldn't seem that way."

Maya rolls her eyes, but gets up.

Zay turns to me and asks, "Is there no other ideas as to what might be happening? Like clues or hints that we might've forgotten?"

I shrug. "Everything that I can remember is up on the board. Not that that's much, but I guess it's something." 

They all mumble agreements.

I try to think of what could possibly be going on, yet nothing comes to mind. Not a person I want to blame. Not a single event that makes me think that it led me here. I can't pin what the hell is going on around here.

Riley comes over to me and holds my hand. "You're stressing. I can see it all over your worried little face," she mumbles and reaches up to touch my furrowed eyebrows.

I smile at her cuteness. "Of course I'm worried. What else do you expect of me?"

The girl shrugs. "Nothing, but I hate to see you so worried. It's not going to help if you're stressing out about everything."

"I know," I say taking her hands in mine. "I just want you and everyone else here safe. I'm going to be pretty train wrecked until then."

Riley nods in understanding and we sit in a couple chairs next to each other as we watch everyone else trying to find anything to give us a hint about what the future may hold.

"There's no way you remember anything?" Lucas asks suddenly as he turns to the girl beside me.

"Don't you think if I knew something I would say it by now?" Riley snaps back.

I chuckle softly because she's still the girl I knew before, by the girl from before would be too scared to that.

"It's just that you're the only one that was there. I'm not saying that you're hiding anything from us, but I really wish that you could remember somehow," he explains before tiring away and going back to the board with Smakle.

Lucas has a point. I hope that Riley will remember that day soon, but we can't force her to. We just have to be very patient, as hard as that is for all of us. It's like asking us to just be sitting ducks.

"I'm going to um 'freshen up'", Riley says to me with a childish giggle.

"Okay," I respond and let her go.

Once Riley leaves the room I feel myself freak. I don't want anyone else in this city dead if we can stop it. The answer has to be right in front of us,  but somehow we keep looking passed it. It's obvious, but not obvious enough.

What in the world is happening?

I just want answer and I want them now.