Chapter 29

I go and knock on the apartment door since he didn't show up.

I'm not sure what's wrong; maybe this all too much for him. In that case, I completely understand.

I can barely even function as it is, so I don't blame him for avoiding us and the service.

He opens the door and looks like a hot mess.

He's in pjs that don't match and his hair is twisted and facing many different directions, as if he tossed all night in his sleep. The bags under his eyes also showed me that sleep was out of the question.

I smile at him despite wanting to cry.

"Riley?" he asks bewildered. "What are you doing here?"

I'm about to reply when he begins closing his door a bit saying, "You shouldn't be here."

I'm about to respond when my phone rings. I rather let it go to voicemail, but it's been buzzing the whole way here.

"One second," I apologize and turn away to take the call. "Hello?"

"Riley! You have to get away from there right now. Don't even explain yourself to him just meet me here at the church."

"Farkle, what are you taking about?" I ask in an attempt to calm him down.

I hear tell someone that he's got me on the line before saying, "I know where you are because I pinged your phone."

I sigh. "You what?"

"That's the least of our worries," I groans. "I know who you're visiting, and you've got to get out of there right not."

I look back at the front door and notice that he's gone, but he left the door ajar for me to go right on in.

"Why?"

"It was him Riles. He knows about you and the rest of us since he's seen us grow up. He wasn't in the pictures that we saw at the hospital. He's old enough to get passed most people, but young enough that he can blend in with teenagers.

"He was close with your dad making him the perfect person for this. He didn't come to the service out of pure guilt. You have to leave before he tries to hurt you."

I'm stunned.

This can't be right. The worlds a rule place, I'm well aware of that by now, but it can't be this cruel. It can't be him.

The feeling of wanting to cry that I had earlier is completely out of my system. I can only feel my anger bubbling right under my skin, ready to fight anything that comes in my way.

"Farkle, I'm going in. If I don't answer my phone in the next thirty minutes call the police."

"No. You can't go in their. If something happens to you I'll never forgive myself," he attempts to reason.

"And if I don't don't try to do something I'll never forgive myself. I love you so much, but I have to do this. Bye."

I hang up despite all of his protests.

I take a deep breath before going to the door and knocking. "Is it alright if I come in?"

"Yeah, just make sure you close the door behind you."

"Sure thing," I call out.

I close the door with a slight bang for dramatic effect and mumble, "Anything for you Uncle Josh."