Chapter 22

Everyone's back at school, but we don't really have class.

There's a bunch of police trying to figure out the death of Charlie. I can't even comprehend that he's really, really gone. He was murdered in cold blood for reasons that none of us can figure out.

It happened just two days ago.

After we realized that he was dead we called the police. When they arrived we were all pretty much hysterical. They tried to interrogate us, but when they saw how much of a mess we all were they dropped it.

I went home and my mom and brother comforted me. The gang was going to come over, but I thought we should spend time with our family. You never know when it's going to be the last time you will see them.

Like my dad.

I'm worried about him. I hope he's okay and everything. I wish things didn't happen the way they did, but here we are.

I go to my locker and open it. This time I really take my time to look at it. I look at all the pictures and everything I put up in there. I grab the picture of me and Farkle from when we were younger and smile.

My world tilts a bit and my brain is overloaded with memories.

Everything about Farkle comes back, including my feelings towards him.

I have to find him.

I start running to the Spot and almost run into the very person I'm looking for.

"Woah Riles," Farkle chuckles at me while putting his arms in my shoulders to help me keep my balance. He suddenly looks sad and put his arms away clearing his throat. The boy starts to walk off but I stop him.

"Farkle wait," I say grabbing his hand, "I remember everything now, except of course what happened at the accident because my brain just doesn't want me remember that day, but I remember you and our relationship together and how we loved each other so much. I'm sorry for getting mad at you because I get it now. You were just frustrated with me and I'm sorry."

He pulls me in for a hug and we stay glued together for a moment. Farkle ends up breaking the silence with, "I was never mad at you or frustrated with you. It's just hard to know that the one you love doesn't even remember you. It wasn't you it was the world that I hated, but everything is okay now."

"Are we okay now?" I ask quietly.

"Just one question." I nod for him to continue. "Do you remember why you broke up with me before? I know I should let it go but I can't, and if you have the answers I might be able to."

I look down because I do remember. "I thought I didn't deserve you. And I thought maybe if I distanced myself from you, even for a little while, I might've been able to figure out the whole bullying thing on my own. It was stupid."

He stays silent in thought for a moment and then tells me, "Just talk to me next time. We can figure it out together, I promise."

I nod into his chest as I fight my tears away.

"I just feel so bad for Charlie," I explain. "We were so convinced that he had something to do with the whole thing, and now he's just... gone. He was trying to help us at the hospital, and of course we tried to help him too, but I can't help but think we could've done more. I don't know, it's like the guilt of everything happening is beginning to crush me.

He strokes my hair and whispers, "None of this is your fault. It's whoever this psycho is. The guy is probably really crazy and needs to be put away in the loony bin. We will get Charlie justice. I should've had more faith in him before, and now I will make sure to get the justice he deserves for not believing him."

I nod again and pull back just enough, so that I'm looking into Farkle's eyes. They're so mesmerizing. I could just stare into them forever.

"I love you, Ri," I mumbles.

I love you too, Fark."

Slowly we lean towards each other and kiss. It feels long awaited. Almost as if it should've happened long ago, and it probably should've. Memories of us kissing surface my brain and I smile at each.

Farkle missing my lips for both of our first kiss.

Our first real date at he movies and him leaning to get a drink and me just swooping in to kiss him.

Our last kiss a few weeks before we broke up in my room.

We pull away at the sounds of everyone, as in our group, cheering for us. I immediately feel bad because I know that Lucas likes me and Smakle likes Farkle, but Smakle gives us a happy thumbs up and Lucas just pulls Maya close while cheering.

Farkle and I look at each other and try to enjoy this happy moment because it could be our last one for awhile.