Chapter 20

Tara was nervous this week. Theon would be coming to see her at any moment. She didn't want him to worry too much. Least of all, she didn't want him to be scared.

Theon walked into the room. They both immediately smiled at each other. Theon wrapped himself around her. Despite her thoughts, she always managed to find solace in his embrace. However, their glimpse of happiness ended quickly as Theon took his arms off her. His sleeve had a slight imprint of blood on it.

Tara noticed his mood change as he turned her slightly to look at her back. Droplets of blood were seeping through the fabric.

"What happened to you?" He asked. He was afraid to know the answer.

Tara had to pull away. She took a step away from him before she turned her back to him. Then, she slowly lifted her shirt and showed him the cuts on her back. The letters weren't obvious, but under the blood and scarring Theon could read it.

"What did he do to you?" Theon asked.

Tara started to tear up. "That's what frightens me. We didn't do anything wrong."

"I'm so sorry Tara." Theon brought her back into his arms. Tara nuzzled herself into his shoulder. Theon could feel her tears on him.

"He knows that the scars will never go away. I'll always be a whore now." Tara started to sob.

Theon pulled her away so he could look into her eyes. "You won't. I won't let that happen to you."

Tara nodded and nuzzled back into his shoulder. She wanted to believe but she wasn't sure if it was possible. Theon held her a little tighter to hopefully stop her tears.

"What are we going to do? He hurt me for no reason." Tara asked between her sniffles.

"It isn't like him to hurt us when we have done nothing wrong." Theon said.

"Ramsay does as he pleases."

Tara pulled herself away and laid on the bed. She brought the blankets around her and turned her back to Theon. She didn't want him to see her anymore. She wanted to hide what she was.

Theon followed her and sat on the edge of the bed. "Roose Bolton is having a son." Theon said after a moment. "I think that's why he hurt you."

Tears were still streaming down Tara's cheeks as she was turned away from him.

"Theon... I'm so frightened." She finally admitted out loud. Theon paused for a moment. He wanted to say me too but he wanted to protect her. Theon climbed into the bed behind her and wrapped himself around her. Tara suddenly felt more safe with him surrounding her. It was a nice warmth. Theon suddenly had an overwhelming feeling as he was so close to her.

"I love you Tara." Theon said quietly, "I have loved you since the moment I meet you."

Tara let out a wide smile even though she was faced away from him, "I love you too." She said quietly.

Her smile quickly faded in the silence. Theon felt her become more tense.

"That's why we can't stay here any longer." Tara added.

Theon unwrapped himself from Tara. "Ramsay will kill you if we are caught. He would do it instantly."

"I know he would." Tara replied, "But I can't stay here any more and neither can you."

"Tara...I-" Theon sat up in the bed.

Tara turned to face him. She wanted him to believe every word she said. "I love you and I want to be with you and I can't if we are here."

"Tara he will kill you!" Theon yelled. Tara looked at him surprised. She had never heard him yell.

"I won't be able to live if that happens." Theon added. Both their heads dropped to the ground. Theon hated that he yelled. Tara was the first to look back up.

"By staying here, I am dying already." Tara said.

They sat in silence for a moment too afraid to look back up at each other. Theon didn't know what to do. He didn't want to stay here, but he didn't want to risk losing Tara either.

"Sansa asked for my help to escape too." Theon said quietly, "Ramsay rapes her every night. She told me to light a candle in the Tower. She has people who will help her escape."

"Did you?" Tara asked.

Theon took a moment and shook his head. "I hate what he did to you Tara. He made me watch as he did it to Sansa." Theon shook.

"Theon that's why we can't stay a moment longer. Who knows what he will do next." Tara looked to the ground.

"I don't want to lose you. I don't want anyone to die." Theon said.

"If we stay here longer, someone will." Tara said.

Theon didn't know what to do. He knew Tara was right. They had to leave, but what would happen if they were caught?

"I would rather die trying to escape than die here done nothing." Tara broke the silence.

Theon thought for moment. Then he nodded his head. "You're right. We can't stay here."

Tara hugged him, "I know this is scary, but it's the right thing to do." She whispered, "Sansa's allies can help us. It's the only way."

Theon nodded. He was terrified and Tara could feel it. She brushed her hand on his face which helped to calm him. She leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek. Theon looked over in shock. He wasn't expecting her to do that.

"I believe in you."

-

Theon pushed his way through the howling wind. Snow blowed into his face making his cheeks turn red. He was frightened of what was to happen, but he did it for Sansa and he did it for Tara. He climbed up the stairs of the tower and made his way to the top. Tara's words repeated in his head to keep him going.

He opened the door to the top of the tower, but he saw something he didn't think he would see. 

"Yes Reek?" Ramsay asked.