Chapter 29

Everyone stood atop the cliffs. Green coated the ground, but gray coated the sky. The wind was blowing in from the ocean. Lots of men were all standing around them. Theon and Tara stood next to each other, and Yara was near them too.

A older man started to speak, "We speak in the presence of the drowned god. In his name, we gather today to choose a new king as our leader." Nothing else was heard besides his voice and the kraken banners flapping in the wind. "Who makes a claim?" He called.

Yara looked around and then walked up. "I am Yara Greyjoy," She began, "Daughter of Balon Greyjoy, King of the Iron Islands. I claim the salt throne."

"We've never had a queen!" A man yelled out, "Not once."

"There are many things we've never done. We've never made our mark upon the world." Yara said confidently, "The great lords of Westeros pay us no mind until our little raids buzz through their kingdoms long enough to become a nuisance. Then they swat us down."

"They conquer us, humiliate us, and going right back to forgetting we exist." Yara continued.

"Aye!" The men said in agreement. Tara was impressed by how much she spoke like a real leader.

"We are a sea people." Yara said.

"Aye!" The men said again.

"Our god is a sea god." She paced back and forth in front of the men.

"Aye!" Each time was louder than the last.

"When I am queen, we will build a fleet that-" Yara was cut off.

"You shall not be queen!" A man said.

"I am not finished!" She turned to him.

"Yes you are! A woman will not lead us!" He said angrily, "Not when Balon's own male heir has returned." Everyone turned to Theon, including Tara.

Theon looked around nervously for a moment, but he gathered himself. He started to step out, and he looked back at Tara. She nodded him on.

He stood in the middle in front of all the men. He took a moment to gather what he was going to say.

"I am Theon Greyjoy, last living son of Balon Greyjoy." Theon said. He paused look at all the men in front of him, but then he turned to Yara, "And she is your rightful ruler."

"Aye." The men said.

"Those of you that have sailed under her, and there are many of you here, you know what she is!" Theon sounded the most confident Tara had ever heard him.

"Aye!"

"She is a reaver!"

"Aye!"

"She is a warrior!"

"Aye!"

"She is ironborn!"

"Aye!"

Theon started to walk back and forth in front of them, but did not lose any of his confidence, "We will find no better leader!" Theon stood next to Yara, "This is our queen."

The men started to cheer. Theon and Yara looked at each other. They both now had respect for one another.

The men's cheering started to become them chanting, "Yara! Yara! Yara!"

"I'm Euron Greyjoy!" The men's chanting dissipated.

They all turned to look at Theon and Yara's uncle walking towards them. "I claim the salt throne!" He yelled.

He walked all the way up to them and then looked between Theon and Yara.

"Niece, nephew." He said to them both and then walked up to Theon.

"Little Theon." He patted him on the cheek. Theon did not look amused. Tara watched from across him. She already disliked Euron very much.

"Heard you managed to fuck things right into the ground." Euron turned to the crowd, "Captured a castle you couldn't keep. Got yourself captured prisoner." He turned from the crowd back to Theon, "Even heard you were a pet for Ramsay Bolton." He sneered.

The men laughed lightly behind Euron. Tara couldn't believe people would laugh at such a thing. It made her beyond angry.

"Explains why you think a woman can be king." He gestured over to Yara.

"When did you come back uncle?" Yara ignored what he said.

"A few days ago. I had some things to take care of. Long overdue." He smiled slyly.

"I'm glad you are here." Yara said, "Now I know what my first act as queen will be, to execute the man who killed my father." She stared him down.

Everyone started to look around and murmured to each other. During the murmuring, Tara and Theon met eyes. Tara looked confused and surprised. Theon on the other hand was not.

"I did." Euron said unapologetically, "I killed him. Threw him right over a rope bridge." He spoke as if it was nothing.

"And watched him fall." He met eyes with Yara, "He was leading us nowhere and we would still be heading there if it weren't for me. No one loved him, no one wanted to follow him. He led us into two wars we couldn't win."

"I apologize for not killing him sooner!" He smiled after he yelled it out.

"That would have been hard to do." Theon spoke up. Euron turned to him. "You weren't here. Last I heard, you were gallivanting around the world have a grand old time."

Euron looked down for the first time, "Gallivanting? Is that the sort of thing you say when you are a whipped dog?" The men laughed. Euron grinned at Theon, "Did the great lords of Westeros teach you words like that?"

Theon ignored his pathetic argument, "You were gone. Yara was here, being Ironborn, leading Ironborn. Getting ready to bring us back to glory."

"And how will she do that?" Euron asked.

"I will build the largest fleet the world has ever seen." Yara pipped in.

"Right idea, except I'm the one who's going to build the Iron fleet because I'm the one that knows how to use it. I've been all around the world. I've seen more of it than all of you combined." He pointed out to the ocean, "And across the sea, there is a person who hates the great lords of Westeros just as much as we do. Someone with a large army, three large dragons, and no husband."

Tara had heard of this Daenerys Targaryen, and she scoffed at the idea of someone like Euron being able to wed her. Theon thought it ridiculous as well.

"I'm going to build that fleet, and I'm going to gallivant right over," He looked at Theon, "And give it to Daenerys Targaryen along with my big cock!" The men laughed.

Tara shook her head. She despised this Euron Greyjoy and she had only known him for minutes.

"You're going to seduce the dragon queen?" Yara said, obviously thinking it was dumb.

"I'm not going to seduce her, the Iron fleet will seduce her. And together we are going to take the Seven Kingdoms. I wasn't born to be king. I paid the Iron price and here I stand."

The men started to cheer his name and raise their fists into the air. Yara and Theon looked at each other. It hadn't gone as they planned.