Chapter 38

Theon walked back to their room after the meeting down with Daenerys and her allies. He was dreading the conversation he knew he had to have with Tara. Even though he knew he wasn't going to like it and he knew that Tara wouldn't like it, it was the best plan for both of them.

Theon opened the door to their room. Tara was sitting in bed holding a book. Theon took notice of the bucket of vomit next to her. 

Tara immediately looked up from her book. She set it down. 

"How is it going?" Theon asked as he sat down next to her. 

"I only sort of understand it. But what I do understand is pretty interesting." Tara replied.

"That's good." Theon said. Tara nodded. 

Theon took her hand in his, "I have to go to Sunspear."

"Yara and I have to escort Ellaria Sand and her Sand snakes back to Dorne." Theon continued to explain. 

"Ok, when do we leave?" Tara asked.

"Tara." Theon stopped her.

Tara looked up at Theon. He averted his eyes to the ground, unable to look at her. Tara tried to find something in his face to help explain more. 

"Theon, no." Tara shook her head.

"You can't." Theon tried to find the words to comfort her, to explain to her. 

"You can't leave me." Tara started to get angry, "We haven't left each other's side since we met." 

"Tara. I'm sorry." Theon said defeated. Tears were swelling up in Tara's eyes even though she didn't want them to. 

"I'm not letting us be apart." Tara said with a crack in her voice.

Theon finally looked up at her. He had to keep her safe. Especially with the new person growing inside of her. "Tara, I have to keep you safe." Theon said firmly. Tara started to shake her head as tears started to stream down her face. She turned away from him and tried to hide her face from him. Theon tried to keep her looking at him. He reached out to her face and tried to get her to look at him, "We will be on a ship in dangerous waters and I wouldn't be able to live on if anything happened to you Tara." 

She pulled away from his hand on her face. "Do you think I don't feel the same way?" Tara said with anger and sadness filling her words.

She tried to move her whole body away from him but he reached out and tried to keep her in front of him. "Tara please. I can't leave like this. Please." He was begging her to just look at him. She continued to move away from him. She refused to look at him. 

Theon reached out for her face. He grazed her skin lightly and held her chin. "Tara, please..." Theon was starting to cry, "Please look at me."

She didn't say anything. She didn't move.

"I love you Tara." Theon almost whispered. 

Tara was trying not to look at him. She felt like she couldn't but with those last few words she had to. She slowly lifted her head and turned to look back at him. The tears in his eyes mirrored hers. 

"That's why I have to leave you." Theon finally broke the silence.

Tara didn't know what to do. She wanted to be angry at him. She was angry at him but she didn't want him have to leave like this. She didn't want to be angry at him if he had to leave. If this had to be the last time they had before he would go off into the unknown. 

Theon moved closer to her. He kissed her on the cheek dangerously close to her lips. He kissed her on the jawline. He just kept placing kisses on her. The tears were rolling down her cheeks as he did. He finally kissed her on the lips. At first, Tara didn't kiss him back. Almost too afraid to. That if she kissed him back that would mean he would leave her. 

She kissed him back.