Sentenced to death

Once he sat down to desk, he made a yawn. A young woman came to his office and smiled on him. She was his secretary, so he knew her well. "Yes, miss?" he asked, sent smile back to her. "I am sorry. I almost forgot to tell you something. Today was there a man, that call himself Ned. He was pretty annoying. I told him you are not here, and then he left." The man apparently faded, when she told him that. "Are you OK, Mr. Donnel? I hope I did not make a mistake." He waved his hand on her. "Do not worry, miss. I am going to argue with that piece of crap. Go home and be fine. All is going to be better." She smirked at him and then left the office.

Arthur Donnel stand up for little stretch. When it was done, he made a move to window. When he opened it, fresh air came to his tired face. It was half of January, so it was breezing still. After a while he calmed down to making a call. Ned was looking for him! But why? He remembered he paid all his debts in time. Phone started ringing and he freaked out. What the hell?! This phone was put out of charger, and battery died a hours ago. Then how is that possible? He slaps his face to calm down and then he picked up a call. "Hallo?" he asked before closed his eyes...

The investigators locked up crime scene and asked some important questions to man's secretary. She looked terrified, pushing hands to her face. She still cannot believe her boss and the best friend was killed. "How? And why? Why someone would want to kill him? I did not meet someone so much generous like he was. Oh, poor Arthur..." Man in fitting suit patted her arm and made her smile. "I am sure, we find the murderer early. If you want a police protection, I will send you a policeman." She shook her head quickly. "I live in dormitory, so I do not want to making my roommates scared. I will be fine. Can I go home now?" The investigator turned to his colleague and he nodded. "Yeah, sure. If you remember something about yesterday, call me." He said her and give her a bussiness card with a contact. She smiled at him because consider him pretty handsome. With the smile she left a crime scene. "I think she is not suspicious." The younger investigator told that pretty loud. Some of technicians turned their heads to him, but quickly returning to their work. Investigator's colleague was standing near the desk and watching a coronary. She was young, but little freaky. She loved this job in every meaning of the word. She enjoyed all parts of autopsy, including organ harvesting of body. But now she was surprisingly quiet. Younger investigator joined them and watch her hands quietly moving above a body of man. "What was a cause of death?" he asked. "Mr. Rourke, you know I am master of that job, but sometimes I just need more information. So shut up and let me do my job!" Both men looked on her with surprise. "Emily... come with me." whispered the older man and she stopped with examination. They go to the next room, where man said: "What's wrong with you, girl? You know, who's that man?" Emily turned red from anger. "I am not girl, Mr. Chort. And yes, I know that jerk. He was my brother-in-law and... forget it!" Julian Chort made a move to her and hugged her. She bursts into tears and did not stop until a while. "Back to work, Emily. Back to work. And I will visit you in morgue tomorrow."

After collecting all the traces of the crime they locked up crime scene and went back to office. "Julian, can I go to secretary and assure that she is OK?" Older man looked at him with wide smile. Patrick Rourke turned red of shame and turned to exit the office, when phone started ringing. Both men looking around them. In their office they had not a phone. Finally, they understood, the phone belonged to murdered man. Julian picked up a phone and receive a call. "Hallo?" Noise on the other side was only answer to his question. "Who is that?!" Julian started severely. "Psh." The investigator canceled call with the anger. About two minutes later, the phone started ringing again. This time Julian receive a call more calmly. "Who's there?! Talk to me! I am Julian Chort, the chef inspector of Brashing's police department! Talk to me!" Noise on the other side was replaced with cold voice: "Eight." Julian looked up on surprised colleague. "What that means? Who are you?!" Voice continued without making a break. "Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two... you know, what came after two?" Julian nodded his head. "One." he said. Stranger started to laugh out loud. "The chef inspector of Brashing's police department was found dead in his apartment on Jucks Avenue 438, room 6B. Sooo sad." Julian looked at phone. "What are you talking about? I am still very alive!" The stranger made an unidentified sound and then he said: "Last thing you want to say before you die?" Julian laughed uncomfortable. "Nothing, well then..." Ispector Chort threw the phone to wall. "Stupid joke!" he said and laughed again. But his colleague looked at him in shock. "You will need a protection. You and your daughter." Julian Chort nodded his head in disguise. "I do not believe, that it is a real treat. It is just a stupid joke."