Little liars

In the interrogation room was a silence. Nobody talked to each other. A young inspector stood in front of suspicious man and tried to broke him to talk. But the man continued in silence with little smile on his face. "Well, I will go to bed. It is too late for me." said policeman and turned to exit the room. Then, man finally spoke: "You don't go anywhere! You have to be there for all night until I will talk." Policeman smiled and said with wide smile on his face: "Yes, I go to bed. This is only your problem, sir, you did not play my game, when you had a chance, so shut up now and goodnight." He stepped out from the room and laughed as he listened to man's insults. "You got, what you need!" he said to himself and walked away from office.

When he came home, he took off his shirt and wanted to make coffee when he heard ringing at the door. So he had to open them. A little girl with tears on her face stood in the door and said: "Can I come in?" He nodded his head, shocked from her presence. "How did you came here? You escaped from orphanage?" She sat on sofa and said: "Help me. I am scared." Policeman sat nearby her, asked: "What's happend?" Tanya looked at him with a fear. "I-I ran away, when nobody looking. I-I know, that is bad... but someone stalking me." A man hugged her and tried to calm her. "For those moments is the best choice to make cocoa drink, what you think?" he said with little smile. She nodded her head, but without any expression. She was apatic and really scared, so he quickly put a cocoa powder to the mugs and poured water on it. After a while the flat smelled like a fresh cocoa. "Do you want some sugar?" She shook his head. "No, I like this." He smiled on her and tried to made her comfortable, so she will tell him, what is her problem. "Tanya, look at me! Who is stalking you?" She sipped a bit from hot cocoa and started with a story: "I know, this is a little weird. But I think he knew me from our previous house... those blue eyes..." He frozed in motion and almost dropped of mug from his shaky hands. "Tanya... this is really problem. How long does this happen?" "I noticed those eyes two days after daddy..." She bursted into tears and policeman mentally slapped himself. "Don't worry, sunshine. You will be safe. I promise you." He knew that was cruel to lie her. But he decided to calm her, so he had no choice.

After she fell asleep in his arms, he called for a social worker, which was responsible for her case. She came quickly, about five minutes, and started to explaining: "I know, maybe she is more scared than he can be from her father's murder. But I do not believe, she is stalked." Policeman raised his eyebrows. "I have a reasonable suspicion for she was witness of crime. So, I would like to put her in a witness protection program." The older woman laughed nervously. "Are you sure that is good idea? She is depressive and apatic, put her in cage and she will be in such distress." Policeman looked at sleeping girl. "You have no idea, how I love her. You have no idea, that I owe her a protection. I am her last member of family, last remember of how beautiful life she had. I will make everything to keep her safe!" The social worker started to cry immediately after he shut his mouth. "Do you want tea?" She nodded his hair and man started with preparing his favourite drink. After a while they sat in kitchen and whispered together, because they do not wanted to wake her up. "I recommend you to stay here this night, it will be not good idea to moving her back somewhere." She frowned at him. "You just want to be close to her, and that is sick! I know, what you tell me before, but you are not her guardian or something! She is going to be adopted about few days, so there is no way to get her to your life again." Patrick was shocked with this explosion of emotions. "She did not told me that! I am sorry. But still I can reach her, when she will need my help." The woman calmed down. "You lied to her, but she lied to you first. Don't you feel like be tricked by a girl?"

"I am pretty sure, that she don't want to tell me everything. I am still policeman, so she feel more responsible for all, what she said to me. I aprreciate your interest, but still... I don't feel like be tricked by her. Children often telling lies to adults from more than this one reason. For example, they scared of punishment. Or because they do not want fell in eyes of adults. She lied me with adoption and I get it. But I know she is really very scared from strange blue eyes, which our only tracks to solve that case. I believe her. She is in real danger." Woman looked at him with obvious laugh on her cheeks. "Come on, Patrick, we both know she is only tried to make a boo, because she is not in centre of attention." Patrick Rourke stood up from chair and yelled: "You don't know her as I know! She raised to beautiful and self-confident young lady. If she say that she is stalked, I am going to repeat myself now, I believe her and I will take everything to keep her safe. Now, If you want to go to the bed, just go. I have to back to work. Please make yourself at home. I will be back as soon as possible." And he started to put his shirt on... Then he made a way to the police car, when he found that. Some kind of strange shadow he saw in corner of his eyes. But when he turned, nobody stood in front of him. Just long dark silhouette of his own shadow. Policeman shook his head and turned back to car, when yelled from shock: "What the hell is that?!" On the hood of car was small sack with suspicious content. He rushed his eyes around, but do not see anyone. "Nancy, call for pyrotechnics! Someone put a sack on hood of my car! GO!" She mumbled something and then canceled the call. He stucked in place and tried to not move so fast.