Prologue • Absent Minded Gazes

Lareha Banks

"Your safety is at stake when your neighbor's wall is ablaze." - Horace

Peering out my window, the sun balanced itself with essence as I gawked at the young man across the street with glowing beige skin, inked with valley green tattoos covering his long and muscled arms, various parts of his legs, his neck, head, and ...

Peering out my window, the sun balanced itself with essence as I gawked at the young man across the street with glowing beige skin, inked with valley green tattoos covering his long and muscled arms, various parts of his legs, his neck, head, and even back. Watering at the mouth caused my tongue to moisten as the observations of my eyes never ceased, his hair was a blonde mess upon his head with tons of loose baby curls, a small goatee appeared and the structure of his jawline made me a profound mess as I clung my lips to the glass kissing it, kissing it and wishing it were him. Him as in my new neighbor.

"Lareha baby, your brother and I are going out for dinner." My father Chauncey hollers from the other room, him and my brother were super close. I was close to my father but never as close as Reece and him were. I found it strange how the spent so much alone time together at our ranch in Virginia, but like everything else that goes on with this family- I slide it under the rug to refrain from extra stress.

"Okay daddy, I hope you aren't going to Lole's." I mouth off as I stand up from my pink blush ottoman and walk over to my mirror examining my body. Slim and a bit widened by my hips, but I nonetheless loved my effortless body. Daddy was standing in my door way peering at me.

"Yeah, Lole's it is. But we'll bring you something back! Wow you look just like your mother-"

"Please don't bring up ma," I whisper turning to him with my hands in my pockets. He tucked in his lip and rubbed his neck anxiously. Ma is no longer with us, since three years ago.

"We're gonna go, no boys over and no Amanda can't come over." He warns as he closes my door shut and I listen to him jog down the stairs. It was a dear habit to remind me to have nobody over, only because I was caught kissing my ex in my bedroom and daddy swore up and down he wanted to impregnant me.

Letting those thoughts slip loose, I wander back over to my window and still see my new neighbor is now moving furniture into his house off of a u-haul. He was intriguing and I didn't know a thing about him. Maybe I should welcome him with some cookies?

Snatching my phone off my dresser, I waste no time calling Amanda who is my bestfriend but technically my cousin by blood, and FaceTime her as I usually do. The connection spirals in the air for a moment and I finally see her.

"Hi beautiful! What's up?" I greet turning the oven to 350 and rummaging through the freezer drawer of the fridge. I came across the best cookies ever, the pillsbury cookies around fall.

"Hey Lareha." She says in a softer and depressed tone. Just glancing at the screen I saw her eyes were bloodshot red.

"Who's ass do I have to beat?" I say without another thought as I closed the drawer and looked for a cookie sheet and silver pan.