Chapter Eleven • Second Hand Feelings

Stallion Brown

         My phone sweated in the palm of my hand either it was the fact that I had just shared my multiple personality disorder with Lareaha, or the fact that my phone had been charging for over an hour now--both. In specific, I didn't necessarily come out and say I had a disorder that I wish I could part take in controlling, I think it's because I named my personality and kept it moving as if it were nothing. She didn't know who Zeus was, that is why I explained it was hard to explain. I beat around the bush just to hide this from her. I didn't want her to text back.

"Come play pool." My eyes dart up to the lit hallway as Tremaine is leaning against the frame with a clear glass of champagne in his hand. He takes a sip and gulps it down before nodding his head at my lit up phone. "Ole girl?" He asks with a raise of his thick brow. My fingers dipped into the creases of my forehead and I nodded as if I were guilty of some sort.

I stared back down at the message thread, in some allusion I wanted to wait for her response, but something else just told me to leave it alone for the night and enjoy Tremaine's family for the holiday. My phone turned blank on its own, so I rested it ontop of my pillow in the guest room and placed my beanie over my rough blond mess.

"Yeah I'm up for some pool, you can beat me on iMessage but this real life." I wore a faint grin to hide my dull nervousness from moments ago, which seemed to be eating at me so agonizingly--but Tremaine couldn't read his own best friend's facial expression. That was the goal. Our hands touched as I dapped him up and we shared a chuckle as we headed down to the basement where all the young adults were. I tried prying my eyes to the direction where we were headed, alot of Tremaine's aunts wanted my attention--they were twice my age.

Joining the pool table crowd, I saw the game was coming to a closure as his cousin Peter and Eric were at each other's throats about accidentally shooting the eight ball in too early. My stance was close to Vahl's as she looked up to me and shared her lip glossed smile. I found it a good idea to invite Vahl and Jade since it was our first holiday that we could spend as a family. She at first wasn't into it, but it took some convincing. Since Lareaha was against her will in North Carolina, I couldn't find more of a reason not to invite them.

"Everything okay? You look troubled." Her brows crease inwards and her mocha skin flawlessly shows her concernment. Her hand rubbed the ball of my shoulder as I turned from her face and nodded.

"Where's Jade? She okay?" I change the subject and she points past a few people to Jade on the couch talking with a few other girls her age I assumed. I did nonetheless than nodding in agreement that she was okay.

I wanted to believe the pool game would be over quicker than it starts but I feel myself in a trance as Peter nor Eric can come to an agreement. Tremaine has to hassle the pool sticks from them and I send him a small smirk as he hands me my stick. I rub the point over the chalk and do it to my liking.

"Oh, please tell me you remember this song." Vahl was touching me over my shoulder and chest, so juvenile and familiar, it felt weird and affectionate at once. I peered down to her eyes and listened to the music thump. 'Always on Time' Ja Rule and Ashanti.

"Yeah this was our shit, you know back in the day." Our blushes came to each others attention as I made my way around the center to break and she stared at me from afar. We eventually began singing lyrics back and forth to each other, but only for us to hear. There was a radiance to her skin as the low light over the pool table swayed every now and then. This was our favorite song, if we were going to be quite honest.

It came down to my last solid and Tremaines few stripes, I pointed in the direction of my solid and it forced off the white ball and into the last pocket of the right side. The eightball wasn't much my forte in reality, but I used the best of luck I could and managed to pull out a win. I got my bet's worth and shook hands with my bestfriend.