Chapter Thirteen • When it Rains, it Pours

Lareaha Banks

Never have I ever seen this amount of rain in December

Never have I ever seen this amount of rain in December. It seemed to wash away all the bad memories of last month though, cleansed my heart of all the mishaps and forbearance. My brain was a bit stormy and high in the clouds, but it didn't stop my mind from resorting back to him. When it rains it pours, I won't complain.

The sidewalk was a lonely blue and an ash gray. The pavement glowed from the streetlights protection and flowed with sadness. The rain wasn't letting up anytime soon, not tonight.

Sitting at my windowsill wondering why I was gazing to his blinds waiting to see if he were looking for me also. I feigned for this hope, the hope of him reluctantly looking for me too. Though I also prayed this meant to stop focusing on him.

He said I was fighting something, but never finished his sentence. Maybe it was better left unsaid? Alot of things are left unsaid with him. He's guarded up with walls I clearly can't see, I want to find them and tear them down. I just want it to be worth it in the end.

My finger tip glided across the window, the fogs residue allowed me to carve in an emotion I felt I was lacking.

I couldn't even imagine the feeling. What would that feeling be? I've lost all of my senses of love. My family fell apart and has been on the rocks for awhile it feels. A full month sure has felt like a year. I still don't understand why my father has done what he has done. The only logical and healthy choice to make is forgiveness--but how? I am not sure.

I creaked over the small ottoman and leaned towards the glass. The December chill ran over my face and cooled my lava like emotions to a simmer. My eyes bounced from the pavement to his window again.

Why is this so hard for me? I don't want to think about him, but he is the reason... I' here. He has kept me sane through this rough transition in my life and I don't know how to thank him. Do I thank him? I don't know, I just know I will wait until those blinds open and I know he has been thinking about me.

I guess waiting didn't assess my patience well enough because he never pulled back his blinds. My orbs gazed to the pavement and I touched back with reality as I closed my blinds. The pattering of rain clashed down harder suddenly and I stood to draw the curtains. In the shadow on the floor was my figure, but I was not alone.