Chapter Eighteen • Man Cries Guilty

Stallion Brown

Venturing through town where the fairy lights fluttered in the wind, over various shops that were beginning to close I noticed this holiday is abnormal

Venturing through town where the fairy lights fluttered in the wind, over various shops that were beginning to close I noticed this holiday is abnormal. Christmas decor aligned bright by perspective but never inched across my mind, my spirit. There easily was no holiday spirit inside of me, I felt lifeless. This job position has treated me fairly over the years. In this dire moment I reckon even having this occupation. I've been in and out of a motion of a teenage girl I shouldn't be pursuing. I adore someone I have no business adoring, I'm in love with her and she's having my child.

Don't bury me of commitment and guilt, it wasn't an intention to create a human within her womb. My fingers gliding the steering wheel as I stopped to a red light. An anxious proximity flooded me as my lips teethed my clench and I fluttered my eyelashes. They sunk into an abyss of regret as I closed them momentarily. I did not mean to get this girl pregnant, but now that she is, she is carrying apart of me.

It had been days since we have physically and verbally interacted. The most committed was grabbing the mail or taking out the trash or recycling. She knows all about me and what I have been hiding, there are no more secrets. I wouldn't blame her to not want my company, even though I'd much enjoy hers over my own every day. I know the decision to work through a pregnancy is going to be a tough barrel to push, I just want to meet her effort half way.

The gas proceeded to bring me in front of the most famous burger joint in town. Parallel parking along the deserted curb, I push the gear in park and climb out. My leather jacket served a warm comfort as I entered and sat myself to a beaten up booth. The menu's were fair but sticky and I could taste the glistening salt from the Idaho cut fries already.

Satisfied with a junior bacon cheeseburger and fry basket, I sat gazing at my phone screen. My mind raced back and forth as I was dying to text her. In a sense I needed to know how she was doing, at least where her head was at. I wanted to be on the same sheet of music with her.

Dipping and dapping the last couple of fries into my ketchup, I left my money and tip before walking out. I found it odd for a pink slip to be left over my dash at this time of the hour. My fingers ceased it from the windshield wipers and I examined the paper. I almost knee this handwriting from anywhere, it was Markell's. He requested I meet him around the corner for a quick hotbox, but I'm over that. That as in, hanging out with him- my purpose had been served.

Tossing it through the air, I returned to the solemn comfort of my car and made my way home. To my concern I was off guard at two police cars parked in front of my home, blocking my driveway as I am forbidden to even begin to enter my home. I rashly park in front of Lareaha's house whose looks in spite of loneliness and turn the engine off.

It hadn't even been two seconds before flashlights were exposed from belts, badges were held up, and guns aimed at my own treachery. My lips poised of a sudden dryness as well as my eyes. I grew weary in the stomach as my heart thumped to my abdomen.