Chapter Eight • Redbone

Stallion Brown

Lareaha didn't even come to the realization that I was wearing my Butters, I never wore a white sole shoe. I figured that's how nervous she was when I cornered her in my closet. After trotting down the stairs, I closed the door behind me and jogged over to the drivers side of my car. Tremaine was still running his mouth off to his baby mother as I tucked my head inside and got in, pressing the gas almost immediately.

"Mane' goodbye. Aiden is yours in the morn'." Tremaine slapped his cellphone to the dashboard causing me to smack my lips.

"Nigga move that shit, it's a distraction." I said as Tremaine followed my wishes. Tremaine and I have been the best of friends since I could even remember. My aunt says we used to eat each others boogers— I guess that was our curiosity stage.

"Sofi keep asking me when I'm bringing Aiden back to her. I told her about five different times she will have him bright and early. Females are so annoying!" He was going through it.

"If you talk level headed maybe she'll act civilized for once." I glance over at him and erupt a fit of laughter— we both knew Sofi could not be civilized. Before her and Tremaine ended their two year relationship, she ran around my house chasing me with scissors trying to stab me. She was jealous that Tremaine and I spent a lot of time together.

"Shut yo' head ass on up. What's been going on with you?" He asked flickering through the stations on the screen control center. I rode with one hand on the wheel at twelve and reached for a cigarette to light.

"Fucking bitches, getting money."

"Aye' my man!" Tremaine applauds me and I give him a weak smirk as he complimentary lights my cig and then his. Rolling down the windows I let out a puff.

"I was joking Tremaine." I say with an inelastic tone.

"No you weren't! You got a nice home, two bikes and a car. Y-You got a pretty ass woman, you winning!" He praises me again.

I shook my head and bopped to the beat of Redbone. "I told you months ago that my job fulfilled me with this house. This shit temporary, I'm just staying over here for business." I say.

"Oh, you gotta excuse me. I been so busy dealing with Sofi and my new girl Alicia, and my son. I forgot you was just doing some investigation shit. How's that going anyway?"

"It's not as easy as I thought. Dude across the street is my target, he white and likes to call black people niggers." My tone dropped as I thought about Chauncey's erratic behavior, we were in such a later time and he still feels he is better than the black man. It's a true ignominy.

"We know what name to call them back— cracker!"

I cackled and shook my head before coming to a red light and drifting my cancer stick out the window. "Nah, I don't try to drive out hate with hate brother' that ain't solving nothing. Anyway, girl in my crib? That's his daughter."

"You smashing his daughter? So you getting money and pussy for this? Sounds like you fucking bitches and getting money to me." He says drifting off trying not to laugh.

"Tremaine."

"What!" He laughs. "So what this dude doing so bad that you need to hop on?"

"I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you all that, can you keep your mouth shut?" I ask him seriously as I turn onto the expressway.

He nodded. "I work in a department store with saggy boob old women, they don't want to hear this. They wanna hear bout Victor Neuman and shit."

"Young and the Restless? Auntie loved that." I said getting off topic.