Chapter Ten • First Hand Feelings

Stallion Brown

    Pushing the grocery cart around the store I realized that I was cutting some fine lines into my job position. I was crossing the line, and going overboard. Tremaine warned me not to catch feelings and all, but after making a sensual love to Lareaha, I think Zeus is going to get me in trouble.

Lareaha came from down the aisle and placed a few spices in the cart along with a pineapple. "You okay?" I stare at her dark roots with now blonde waves to her shoulder. We really dyed our hair together.

"I'm okay, does Reece need any snacks for the week? I want to help you two out as much as I can." I say, my tongue running over my bottom lip. She shakes her head no and now I feel as if I should ask her if she's okay. "Well what's wrong with you?"

I begin pushing the cart after her as she stays quiet. "Lareaha?"

"Nothing, I just don't know why you're doing this? Why are you helping us out?" She said as we entered the next aisle that happened to be empty of others.

"I'm doing it because I care about you. You are my neighbor and I'd just about do anything for you... after all I am attracted to you--" my words slow as I realize what slipped from my brain. "I-I just like your presence okay?"

Lareaha didn't have much to say other than a shrug of the shoulders. Now she's acting like she doesn't care what I have to say or feel, and she's acting nonchalant. I don't understand if someone wants to help why is she so scared of their help.

The entire time it was quiet between our mouths rather than our eyes. Our eyes spoke volumes as I'd occasionally watch her bend over to pick items off  the shelf. The small whimper she made when she couldn't reach something, I was there behind her to grab it. She studied my anatomy whenever I reached for something on a top shelf and my shirt came up. The physical emotion and attraction was evident in this moment, but nothing from our lips came about.

We began moving groceries from the cart to the belt and waited to move up in line. I shifted my eyes to Lareaha as she stared at my pocket. I weaved my card out my wallet and handed it to her.

The white woman behind the register pursed her lips and then frowned. "Are you sure he has enough money dear?" I just listened.

"That's really none of your business." Lareaha mumble placing the chip of the card into the machine.

"I've seen young men like him, they always get declined." I just listened.

"Young men like him? What is it because he's black?" She scoffs to the woman.

"You interracial couples make me so tense." She groaned as she handed Lareaha the receipt. The bags were collected into the cart and I gave the white woman a look.

"Have a nice day." I uttered to her as she still dawned at me with a disgusted expression. I moved forward with the cart and the sun sketched down on our frames as we walked to my car.

"How come you never stick up for yourself?" Lareaha wondered.

"I've been doing it forever, I come across racist people all the time. Whether they make it known or not. You need to realize if we're seen out together, we'll get looks from anyone and everyone." I say unlocking the trunk. We begin placing the bags into the cart and silently at that. It was there again, that weird tension. My hand slipped over hers as we went to grab the last bag. "I got it." I say placing it in the last empty spot. She closes the trunk and I push the cart off randomly to the end of the lot, making sure it was free of destruction.

Once I got into the car, I didn't even place my seatbelt on, I placed the car in drive and swerved to the back of the parking lot. Parking in no particular place, I shut the engine off and locked the doors.