Chapter Nineteen • Dirty Game of Cards

Lareaha Banks

School was a complete drag the next day. I managed to function on a granola bar and glass of milk despite my long night downtown. Sitting in the last row of Physics class I didn't take notes or pay attention to what was going on. I was too busy thinking about Stallion and this pregnancy. It was eating at my conscience and I didn't know how much I could bear. I had to make my final decision this afternoon, whenever the bell rings.

Tapping my mechanical pencil across the clean loose leaf, I weave four fingers through my hair and begin packing my stuff away. The end of class became nothing but a few students talking and others getting a head start on their homework. Today was the last day before Christmas break, I wasn't joyous about anything because of the million and two problems I'm facing. Watching the teacher erase the board with his back to us, I discreetly jog out the back door and trail the halls. My jacket flew open as I flew quickly around the halls trying to see if he was gone already. His locker was completely shut and nobody stood near them. He was already in his car-- or worse, gone.

Approaching the red cherry doors that had the school mascot painted over, the bell rings and a flood of students flow out of classrooms. I chase the door and jog out before anyone can see me or before I miss him. I scan the parking lot and spot his black Acura. Walking over to the passenger side door, I tug on the door handle and he leans down to look through the window. His braids swing as he points to me for his friends in the back and he slyly rolls the window down. Looking around, afraid of being seen, I unlocked the door myself and hopped in.

"Yo what the fuck?" He slurs with creasing eyebrows.

"What are you doing tonight?" I asked inventively. He probably was more shocked that I was even bothering to talk to him, I haven't spoken to him in weeks.

"We going to this little frat party, down in Mondawmin. What's good?" His fingers sparked the flaming lighter towards a blunt and he held it to whoever was in the back.

"I want in. I've been thinking about all of our good times, and I want to rekindle what we had..." My head pressed against the head rest and he stared over to me, mesmerizing my eyes.

"It's whatever, you can cool with us. We going back to my house first, you down? You good? You need some cute ass shit from your house?" He peered at my outfit which was lazily thrown together, and I looked trashy.

"No, I'll wear these vans and one of your shirts. Thanks." He nodded and reversed the car before pulling out of the parking spot and speeding towards his home.

Markell came from a good home, he attributed these terrible habits from his friends. His mother was a stay at home mom, his dad is a lawyer, and his two younger brothers are in middle school. To top it off he has two baby pit bulls. It was a typical family household that always kept in contact and put family first. Something my family never does. It appeared that his parents weren't home and everyone got out the car. I was never fond of his friends who were in the back so I failed to speak to them on purpose. He sent them to his basement and I ran upstairs with him to his room. It scented of his favorite axe and fresh sneakers.

Sitting on the edge of his bed, I look to him as he removes his shirt and jeans. "I can't believe I'm just now telling you this, but I missed you alot." I lie straight through my teeth. The corners of his lips shoot up with his whitest smile.

"I was waiting for you to realize that I'm the one. You wanna wear this basic tee, or look at my mom's closet. She probably got something nicer..."