Chapter 09

Rhodey knew just what I wanted to be wearing when the plane landed. He brought a bright red sweater, a white button up shirt, my nice black jeans, and a pair of black and white sneakers. It was perfect under the powerful AC in the airplane. The AC was perfect.

The onsite doctor had checked me out. There was a small cast on my wrist, it had broken from the way I landed on it. He said it would be a few days before it could harden enough for people to sign it.

There was a time when I couldn't see Dad anywhere. It was a horrible two minutes. He came back out with until he came out dressed in a suit, his arm up in a sling. It was a relief that nothing had happened.

He came up to me, pulling me in a one armed hug. Clearly I hadn't been the only one distressed at the distance.

The plane had just landed. Rhodey told us Pepper was downstairs, with Happy. It made Dad and me smile. The smiles disappeared when we were told we'd have to be in wheelchairs for medical reasons. I'd never wanted to punch Rhodey until that moment. He was lucky my good punching fist was already in a cast. Dad had his own injuries, as one crashing in a metal suit was bound to have. His own wrist was broken. The medic was certain some other parts had been sprained, such as his legs and other wrist.

Once the plane landed, I waited in my designated wheelchair. Dad had told Rhodey in his usual nonchalant way to make sure I got off the plane safely. I had tried telling him I was fine, that the broken wrist was the worst of it. If anyone told him the bruised ribs were making difficult to breathe, I'd argue it was the LA air and also shut up. Still, Dad made sure Rhodey would be the one to put me back on American soil.

Despite the protests, I was guided down the ramp by Rhodey. Another soldier was helping Dad down.

"Watch it, coming up here." Rhodey warned. I nodded, watching my step.

There were ambulances off to the side. Four medics came over, rolling two of their stretchers. I tensed in Rhodey's arms. I wasn't ready to have Dad out of my sight that long.

Besides, the last time I was in a car that small it exploded.

"Are you kidding me with this?" Dad asked from Rhodey's other side. He was on the same thought path I was. "Get rid of them."

Rhodey agreed, shoeing the medics away.

Once that happened, rhodey was certain I had my land-legs back. Dad and I walked over to his limo, where Pepper stood vigilant.

"Your eyes are red." Dad noted. "A few tears for your long-lost boss and his daughter?"

"Tears of joy. I hate job hunting." Pepper lied.

"Yeah, vacation's over." He got right back on the high horse. No three months of nearly dying and no fake heart could keep him down!

Then again, I'm not letting it keep me down either.

'We'll miss you, Yinsen.'

We all climbed in the car. Thank had gotten a limo, which was nice. There was room for me in this thing. Just the idea of going in anything smaller than this was making my clench my hands in anxiety.

I was sitting on one of the seats along the side. Dad and Pepper took the back. Once in my seat, I let out a breath of relief. We were home.

"Where to, sir?" Happy asked.

"Take us to the hospital, please, Happy." Pepper instructed.

"No." Dad spoke.

"No? Tony, you have to go to the hospital. Becky has to go to the hospital." Pepper reminded.