Chapter 12

"Was the mission delivered?"

"Yes Tarea"

"That's good.  You can go now"

"Thank you Tarea"

"Why can't that Shadow be more like him?"

"Because then we wouldn't be able to trust anybody"

"We don't trust anybody"

"It would drive us crazy to have two of Live"

"Come now...  I think it will be fun"

"No thank you.  Now tell me what job did you give Shadow to keep him busy?"

"Oh it's nothing, it is just an easy track job, nothing too bad"

"That should work on his nerves"

"Yes, why do you think I have it to him?"

It took a while before Shadow could muster up the strength to stand up again.  He ignored the envelope that lay on the bed.  For a moment he almost hoped that the envelope would be gone when he got up again, but the thing was still there.

Slowly Shadow limped to the bathroom.  It felt like his body was about to give in again.  He was so tired.  "I didn't think it's be this bad" Shadow muttered when he finally got to the bathroom.  No matter how carefully he moved, it didn't stop the pain from almost overwhelming him.  After he took of the wet clothes, Shadow took a warm shower. For a while the heat almost took the pain away, but it wasn't long before the pain returned. The water washed away all the grime and blood from the day.

When he finished Shadow cleaned all of his wounds and strapped his knee. He had to lock the pain away before he could even walk to his room.

Carefully he sat down on the bed and closed his eyes for a moment.

Shadow opened his eyes and looked around in the room. When his eyes landed on the envelope he froze and glared at it. With a swift movement Shadow snatched it up. Ripping it open he read the mission they gave him. The more he read the angrier he got.

Those bastards really outdid themselves this time.

With a hiss, Shadow got up from where he sat. "Can't they just give me something that's not for the Hunters or other groups?" he said and threw the papers on the bed. Carefully he rubbed his hands over his arms, glaring at the mission.

Shadow shook his head and left the bedroom. His entire body felt like it was on fire. Sitting down on the only couch that stood in the apartment, he dropped his head into his hands and closed his eyes. He was beyond tired now, not even feeling tired anymore. And he knew that he was playing on the edge.

If he finished the mission, he might be able to get some more rest. Taking a deep breath, Shadow got up and limped back to the room. Slowly and with care he pulled on a clean and dry coat. When he pulled on his gloves, his hands felt swollen. He struggled with the boots and putting the gun holsters on. Shadow flexed his hands a few times, before holstering his weapons. It was time for him to leave.

"Crazy bastards are just asking for it"

When Shadow left the apartment building, he quickly looked up at the sky. The sun was reaching its peak, but couldn't break through the dark rain clouds. It wasn't raining anymore, but everything was still soaked.

Putting his hands in his pockets, Shadow limped down the street.  His eyes were cold as he watched everything around him.  The streets Shadow walked through were packed with people, but none of them paid any attention to the bruised and cripple young man.  As Shadow walked he kept looking for his target.  The information on the target looked like it could be trusted this time and it said that he'd find the target in the area he was headed for.