Chapter 25

"That child is starting to cause trouble"

"I'm quite surprized that he's still alive"

"He is like a cat with nine lives"

"Come now, you have to admit he is one surprising young man"

"I don't care.  We need to get rid of him"

"Can't we just watch him for a while longer?"

"Why would you want to dot hat?"

"Because I'd like to see what he'd do next"

Amari studied Shadow's face.  He was sitting on one of the chairs, eyes closed.  It almost looked like he was asleep.

"Don't stare at me like that"

The girl jumped and grinned.  "I thought you were sleeping" she said and stepped back.  Shadow opened his eyes slightly, looking at her for a moment before closing them again. "Maybe I should try that before we leave" he muttered and Amari smiled.  

"You do that" she said and nodded as she turned tot he other two.

"Do you mind if we talk somewhere else?'

Eve and Leon nodded.  "We can sit in the kitchen" the girl said, her eyes glued to Shadow.  Leon groaned softly and pulled his sister with him to the kitchen, Amari following behind them.

The three sat down and Amari smiled at the two.  "You really don't need to look so worried.  I'm not going to bit you" she said with an amused tone. 

Leon Grumbled something under his breath and Eve elbowed him in the ribs.  "Don't be rude" Eve hissed and Amari laughed.

"Don't worry about it, I'm used to rude company..." she said "Now tell me about Ewan".

Eve's eyes widen a bit and Leon looked away.

"We don't really know him" Leon grumbled, looking down at the table.  Eve sighed.  "We only just met him a while ago.  He saved us from a bunch of thugs and assassins" she said.  

Amari nodded, but didn't say anything.

Leon looked up at Amari again.  "He said he'd keep them away from us" the boy said.  He looked her right in the eye, his grey eyes seemed serious.  

"That's a first.  I didn't think that he'd something like that" Amari said "It doesn't seem to be in his nature".

Eve shrugged.  "I don't know.  We've only seen him a few times and we didn't talk at all" she said.

Amari nodded.  "Well maybe he took a liking to you" she said "He must have thought that he'd be able to protect you".

Eve laughed softly and got up.  "How about some tea?" she asked.  Amari quickly looked in the direction where Shadow should be before she nodded.  "That would be nice" she said.  Eve smiled and got up.

"Are you sure he'd going to be alright?" Leon asked.  The boy seemed so serious.

Amari smiled kindly at him.  "Don't worry, with a little rest he will be fine" she said "It's not as bad as it looks"

Leon nodded and looked at his sister.  She shrugged when she noticed it.  

"it looks to me like Ewan might have gotten a liking to the two of you" Amari said softly and smiled when Eve placed a cup of tea in front of her.

Eve shook her head, but didn't say anything.

Leon just huffed.  "Yeah right... I don't think so" he said "He must have just felt sorry for us"