Chapter 13

"Well now that turned out a bit different than I thought"

"Didn't I tell you not to under estimate him?"

"Yes, yes, you did...  Now, what happened with our new friend?"

"Shadow tested him, he doesn't like him, but he didn't kill him"

"That isn't a surprise.  He likes a very few people"

"Levi just brought him in"

"Then we should take a look"

Leon and Eve made their way through the streets towards the Sweeper's Cafe.  The cafe was for registered sweepers only.  A person could register from the age of sixteen and then they'd get their licence.  Every cafe had its own list of bounties.

When the two of them walking in to the cafe it looked just like it always did.  Jam-packed with sweepers at the few scattered tables and the bar-counter where Lin worked.  One of the walls was completely covered with posters.  There were only a few openings were posters used to be.  Lin looked up when the bell above the door rang.

"Oh no...  Not the two of you again"

Eve just rolled her eyes and ignored the man.  They were used to the sweepers acting like that when they came in.  Leon grumbled under his breath.  He would have glowered at the man if Eve didn't pull him towards the counter and Lin.

"Hey get lost kids, this is no place for you" another man called.  That did it for Leon.  He turned sharply and shot a look at the man that could melt steel.  Leon hated being called a kid, it made him touchy and very grumpy.  Eve sighed and grabbed Leon's arm before he could stalk over to the man, pulling him after her.

"Have you seen Gabe?" Eve asked Lin, keeping her hold on Leon's arm.  Leon was still glaring at the man that called him a kid.

Lin studied the two for a moment before she shook her head.  "No sorry...  I haven't seen him today" she said and suddenly gave a loud whistle.  The cafe quieted down and Lin smiled.  "Now any of you buffoons seen Gabe lately?" she asked loudly.  A loud buzzing started up and Lin waited for them to calm down a bit.  "We haven't seen him since last week.  Sorry kids" one of the men said.  Leon hissed softly and Eve sighed.

"We're not kids" Leon muttered folding his arms as he glared down at the ground.  Eve elbowed Leon in the ribs.  "Well, if you see him, please tell him we are looking for him" she said smiling at the sweepers.

The doorbell rang again.

Eve and Leon sat down at the counter as a young woman walked into the cafe.  She was wearing a frilly pink shirt, a short plaited skirt and long white boots that ended above her knees.  Her dark red hair was tied in a messy bun and bounced on her shoulders as she walked.

For a moment the cafe was completely silent, but it didn't look like the young woman even noticed it as she walked to Lin's counter.

"Good morning, Lin" she said leaning against the counter, a mischievous glint in her green eyes.  Lin smiled and shook her head.  "Morning, Amari" she said.  Amari grinned and turned towards the other sweepers.  "Hello, boys...  Did you miss me?" she asked.

The sweepers in the cafe just stared at her with shocked expressions.  It was almost like Amari knew that was the reaction she was going to get.

"Oh no...  What are you doing here again, Amari?"

Amari looked over at the man and smiled brightly at him.  It took them a bit longer than she thought to recover from her just strolling in.  "Don't be like that, Vergo.  You know I like this place more than the others and it's so much more fun here" she said and winked at him.  Vergo smiled and shook his head.  "Seriously, Amari what are you doing here?" another one asked and walked over to her.