Chapter Seven: A Bitter Pill to Swallow

Five weeks had passed since she had moved back home, five weeks of working in the shop and moving slowly into Jax's house. They had moved his ex-wife out and gotten her checked into a rehab, someplace she desperately needed to be.

Paige was thrilled that she was fixing up not only Xavier's room but Abels as well. The doctors were so impressed with his growth and health that he was soon going be home where he belonged. Paige was hoping that having the house all fixed would bring Jax out of his funk. For two days he had been quiet, and sad as if something had been bothering him.

He hadn't even wanted to make love to her, and she had tried to get his attention. She was fearing that the club was getting to him, since being VP was not something that came easy. She had tried to get her father to see what was wrong, but her father didn't want to get involved in their relationship.

"Look mommy. I made this for Abel. Xavier said holding up a drawing of a bear, a smile growing on her face as she hugged him tight. She was thrilled that he was finally able to be a kid, and not worry about moving and being on the run day after day.

"Paige?" Jax called from the other room, Paige confused as she was not expecting him home anytime soon. The club had been in a meeting, a meeting that was supposed to take hours. She left Xavier to his drawing and went into their bedroom, seeing Jax standing next to the bed. He was shaking and nervous, and tears were forming in his eyes.

"Jax? What is it baby?" Paige asked as she walked over to him, tears finally making their way down his cheeks. "Jax? You are freaking me out, please just tell me what is wrong." Paige continued as tears were now forming in her eyes. She had felt something was wrong, but to have Jax looking this torn up was killing her.

"Tara is pregnant." He blurted out, Paige confused as to why it would matter. Why did he care that she was now knocked up?

"And?"

"And its mine." Jax said, causing Paige to gasp and take a step back from him, her hand over her mouth as she felt shocked from the news. A knife had just been thrown in her heart, a hot knife that was slowly ripping her in half.

"Jackson? How is it your baby?" She asked angrily, feeling her body shake from two emotions colliding. She was trying to do the math in her head, but it was not adding up.

"It was before you came back, before you and I had gotten back together— "He started to say but was cut off but Paige's hand. 

"I know when you lie Jackson, you look to the right. Now tell me the truth, right now!" Paige yelled as she closed the door, not wanting Xavier to hear. He had heard his mother scream one too many times and it always scared him.

"Paige." Jax sobbed as he sat on the bed his head in his hands. "It was the night after the con, I went to the hospital after you had gone home and she had told me she was in trouble. I went to her house to make sure it was okay and—one thing led to another—Paige I am sorry." Jax begged as he stood up, Paige stepping back with her hands in front of her.

"You were with her that night? You came home to me that night. You fucked her and then came home to me. You son of a bitch!" She sobbed, pushing Jax back as he tried to hold her. She remembered him being late that night, but she never thought he was with Tara.

"I was scared okay. I was scared you would run again and the feelings for Tara got brought up and—fuck, Paige I fucked up okay, but I don't want Tara. I want you and only you, I know that now." He explained, only making things worse as Paige slapped him hard across the face.