Chapter Nine: Coming To Terms

"Here." Jax said as he held the straw to Paige's lips. It had been nearly four days since she had arrived at the hospital. Four days of tests, pain and sadness. Paige remembered some of what had happened to her, but she didn't remember getting to the hospital.

She sipped the water, her mouth dry and her side and head pounding like crazy. She didn't want any more pain killers, since she didn't want to risk becoming addicted. The pain however made her body shake, and her mind so unclear.

"Thank you." She whispered, her voice hoarse and her vision limited to one eye. Her left eye had been swollen since that night, but they said there was no permanent damage. She tried to smile as she felt Jax gently kiss her forehead, his presence an around the clock thing.

"You think you can walk today? The sooner you walk the better." Jax asked as he sat down on the bed beside her. She rested her hand on his thigh, nodding her head yes as she wanted desperately to just rest at home.

Jax helped her pull the covers back, a large bruise on her thigh where one the henchmen had kicked her when she tried to spit at them. She knew that it killed Jax to see her with so many cuts and bruises, but she wanted to assure him that it wasn't his fault.

"Take it slow." She asked as she rested her hands in his. She winced in pain as she stood, her broken ribs unforgiving as she wanted to collapse.

"I got you baby-I got you." Jax said as he gently held under her arms. He was so careful not to put too much strain on her, the need for her to walk detrimental to her leaving the hospital.

"I was going to tell you about the baby, Jax. I just didn't know what to say." She said, watching as his eyes began to water. They hadn't discussed it since she had been in the hospital, or Jax hadn't wanted to discuss it.

"We don't have to talk about that— "

"I want to Jackson. This wasn't your fault; this was my fault. Carlos was going to find me regardless of you protecting me. He was a brutal man and could have done so much worse." She said as her hand cupped his cheek.

"I made a mistake, Paige. I hurt you and it caused you to run away from me, from the protection I could give you. You lost that baby because I couldn't protect you." He said, his lips quivering as tears ran down his cheeks.

"You did all you could, and we can have more babies Jax. I will give you as many babies as I can." She said with a weak smile, her left side still swollen. She turned her head as Jax gently kissed her cheek, wincing in paid as any touch was painful.

"Let's take a walk." Jax smiled, helping Paige as she tried to take small, slow steps. "Is Xavier's real name Xavier?" Jax asked as they almost made it to the door, the IV stand slowly traveling behind them.

"His name is Benito Filip Xavier, but I was wanting to change his last name." Paige said as she was almost out of breath.

"To that? Telford?"

"No, Teller. I want you to be his father Jax—that is if you still want that?" Paige asked as they slowly began walking back to the bed so she could rest. She sighed with some relieve as she slipped back into the bed, her side burning like crazy as she tried to get comfortable.

"Of course that is what I want babe. Speaking of Xavier, he wants to see you Paige, he is getting freaked out." Jax said, making her stomach churn as she imagined how scared he must be feeling.

"I can't let him see me like this Jax, he won't know how to handle it. Please just tell him I'm getting better—please." She begged, feeling the sting of her tears going on her face. The very last thing Paige wanted was Xavier to see her like she was, the memory no doubt going to haunt to him forever.