Chapter 11

The male cannot bear very much humiliation; and he really can not bear it, it obliterates him.

 _James Baldwin

Humiliation is the abasement of pride. It is an emotion felt by a person whose social status has just decreased. It can be brought about through intimidation, physical or mental mistreatment or by embarrassment.

Emma’s P.O.V:

I retrieve the cell phone from my pocket and register the time in my mind not happy with its quickness. I then tap my perfectly manicured fingers at the clip board which I am holding in my left hand. My eyes roam in the large Hall from behind the stage’s curtain in search of a familiar face but they falls back on the clip board unsuccessful.

Its 9:30 PM already and still no sign of Elena. The judgment of the paintings has finished and she wasn’t even there to present her painting to the judges. The freaking Thomas McKnight was here to judge those paintings. The school’s board had decided not to tell the students about special judges’ arrivals for every particular contest but I’ve told El that the school board has put a lot of efforts this time to arrange this event but she never listens. Thankfully her absence won’t cloud their judgment. A little birdy told me that they are quite impressed with Elena’s work. So hopefully she’ll win. Fingers crossed.

“Emma?” Miss. Potts voice rings in my head phones.

“Yes Ma’am.” I respond immediately.

“I’ve told you that our new financer’s son Adam Grayson will be here today to keep a check on everything?” She asks.

My subconscious stretched her body at her words and eyes me.

“Yeah?” I answer nervously.

“Well, he is not coming today but he will be here tomorrow so I want a progress report ready by tomorrow. Got it?” She asks while throwing a whole loads of work at my face.

“Okay.” I sigh helplessly. Seriously after all this if the board of school won’t pay me well I’ll definitely kill the financer which is unfortunately The Grayson’s company.

My subconscious still eyeing me.

“Okay” I sigh.

I have to make a list “Things Elena should know.”

1. The Grayson’s are financing this event.

She would probably freak out about this one.

2. Thomas McKnight came to judge the painting contest.

3. List of special guests that are coming here today including One Direction who will be performing the last act and will be closing the event.

I am not sure if she is a fan of One Direction but I caught her listening to their music on radio sometimes well, may I add I’ve listened many of their songs too and absolutely loved them even though Pop isn’t my type of music.

“She doesn’t care about One Direction so don’t worry.” My subconscious reasons. 

 And I immediately relaxed as soon as this thought crossed my mind that she never talked about them so there’s no way she could be a fan of them.

Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you, tell you I need you

Tell you I'll set you apart

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions

Oh let's go back to the start