Sleepless in LA

"Justin," I mumble hitting him "They're awake."

"And?" He sighs "They're your kids too."

"Pleasseee?" I beg "I was up feeding Lexie half the night. I'm exhausted."

"Fine." He throws the covers over me in defeat "But if I fall asleep and they burn the house down it's not my fault."

Justin's POV

"Where momma?" Kay asks as I pick her up. I rest her on my hip and bend down to pick up Ben "Mommy's sleeping. We're gonna go downstairs for a little."

"We play?" Ben asks in his sleepy voice.

"Sure, but you have to eat breakfast first." I set him in his chair "Do you want waffles or pancakes?"

"Cupcakes!" Kay decides. I walk over to get them and stop when I realize what I'm about to do "You can't have cupcakes for breakfast, mommy will get mad at us. What about pancakes and if you're good later you can have cupcakes?"

They agree and start to play some made up game. I start to get everything ready when I hear Alexia crying again.

"You should go back to bed." I take Lexie from Jen "I slept last night, I'll take her of her."

"She needs fed, Justin. Unless you've developed some kind of magical powers in the past few minutes I don't think you can do that."

"Well, I did learn how to hold a bottle up to her mouth." I say "I'll feed her. You just go get some rest. You'll need it."

"Why?" She asks "What did they do already?"

"Nothing. They haven't done anything yet." I walk out of the room "That doesn't change the fact that our children are horrible little humans that hate the idea of rest or sleep."

I take Lexie downstairs and grab the first bottle in the fridge that I see. I try to keep her entertained while I wait for the bottle to heat up, but all she does is scream.

"Hers loud, daddy." Ben runs over to me. He puts his arms up for me to hold him, so I try my best to juggle Lexie, her bottle and him all at once. This whole parenting thing really isn't easy.

"Me too!" Kay runs over. She sees my arms are full and attaches herself to my leg making it almost impossible to walk.

"Kayleigh, I love you, but you're hurting daddy's leg." I stop walking trying to give her a hint "Can you sit at the table please?"

"No!" She yells fighting "I want mommy!"

"Well she's sleeping, so you need to stay with me for now." I get her off my leg and manage to get Ben to the table. He sits there watching as his sister throws a tantrum because I won't let her hang off my leg. Lexie continues to drink her bottle ignoring the whole situation.

"What's wrong?" Jen walks down the steps sleepily "I heard screaming." I turn to Kay to let her explain and she walks over to Jen continuing to cry.

"She wants you... and attention." I finally answer. Jen gets her to calm down after a little while I play with Ben and his pancakes since he can't just eat them.

Jen carries Kay, who won't even look at me, over to the table a few minutes later. She closes her eyes, and covers her ears so she doesn't have to see or hear me, which I think is hysterical. I make her breakfast and this is what I get in return. I hand Jen Lexie to feed and help Ben eat his cereal while Kay continues to ignore my existence.

"Daddy?" She finally asks "Help me?"

I reach over and take her fork and feed her like she can't do it herself. She walks over to me and gets on my lap to make it easier. Jen looks across from us laughing at the situation.

"She really does have you wrapped around her finger. You're so screwed when she's older."

"We're both screwed." I laugh "They all have us trapped. All they have to do is look at us and we give in."

She just gazes over at us, smiling at the situation. Her love for our children has never been doubted, but moments like this are when I can really see it. She's exhausted, starving, and probably wishes that she could be anywhere but here, but the look of content on her face covers all of that. She looks from us to Ben, and then down at Lexie who is more than happy to be eating.

We spend the rest of the day sitting around in the living room. We're both too tired to do much, but of course the kids are bursting with energy.

"Hey guys, let's watch a movie." Jen suggests "You can pick." They both run over to the DVD case to find the movie they want to watch. Of course, they can't both agree on one, so Jen and I have to decide for them.

I put them both behind my back, moving them around a few times and then have Jen pick which hand. Ben's movie ends up winning, making Kay mad and him extremely happy.

"We can watch your movie next."  I promise her.  She cuddles up with the rest of us once she's in a better mood and we start the movie. 

"This is so stupid." Jen leans over towards me "Why did we let them pick?  I didn't wanna spend my day watching a talking animal."

"It's better than a singing mermaid."  I say "I can't believe she's about to make us watch that again.  She has to have it memorized by now."

"She's had it memorized for over a year now."  She laughs "Remember she used to run around singing."

"How could I forget?"  I only know every song from listening to her. 

"Just be glad they aren't fighting.  We're actually all in the same room for once and nobody is hurt or crying."

"That's very true."