Chapter 6

Jade Chapter 6, a romance fiction |

Tryouts were tomorrow. Joyce was having her last practice session with Byron and from what Jade was was observing, everything was going more than fine. Joyce seemed to be at ease handling and dribbling the ball, making passes and her lay ups were much better than before, having worked on her stance  in the last few weeks. Although She couldn't bypass Byron easily, for her age and height she seemed to be holding up just fine. Thirty minutes later, they were wrapping it up and Byron was getting ready to leave.

"Hey, I got something for you, Champ." he said using the nickname he had started calling her. He grabbed his bag and digged in until he pulled out a maroon jersey that had Wilson on the back and the number 13 which just happened to Joyce's favorite. Byron handed it to her. " For luck tomorrow."

Joyce's eyes were wide as she took the jersey in her hands and looked up at Byron with pure awe and...joy. "Wow, thank you so much, coach. " she hugged the jersey and looked at her sister. "Jade, I have a jersey!"

Jade chuckled from her spot on the porch, with her history book in her lap. "I can see that, little sis."

"Let me know how it goes tomorrow, ok?" Byron said to the excited little girl.

She nodded vigorously. "Yeah definitely! Thanks again, coach!"

Byron smiled before looking up at Jade. He nodded at her and she nodded back, expressing her gratitude through her eyes. He then jumped inside his car and drove off.

Joyce sat down next to her sister with a big smile on her face and still hugging the jersey to her chest. "I'm so excited now." she told Jade.

"Me too. I know you'll do great."

"Thank you for doing this for me, Jade. I promise I'll make you proud."

Jade smiled and put her arm around her sister's shoulder. "I know you will. As long as you also put that Jackson boy in his place."

Joyce smirked. "Oh, don't worry. I'll show him."

"Good."

The two sisters stayed outside for awhile talking about the upcoming try-out until their mother called them inside for dinner.

___________________________

Jade had no way of knowing how the try outs were going. After school she had to go straight to the shelter and couldn't find out how Joyce had done. She wanted to rush home right after cleaning up but Reina unexpectedly asked her for a ride home.

"My mom was supposed to pick me up but she got called in to work and Ryan is at his meet so he can't-"

"Meet?" Jade interrupted her as she led the younger girl to the car in the parking lot.

"Yeah, he runs track and cross country."

Ryan Parker ran track?

"Their meets don't end until 10pm or so."

"Oh ok." Jade said. It was news to her that Ryan Parker was involved in athletics. She always deemed him to be more of the academics type. Who knew.

The two girls arrived in front of Jade's car and she unlocked the doors. Reina got inside the passenger seat while Jade got behind the wheel and started the engine.

"Where to?" Jade asked her. Reina recited the address and explained the direction.

"Are you going to the basketball ball game tomorrow?" Reina suddenly asked her after a few blocks of silent driving.

"No." Jade hadn't been to any games since things ended with Mark.

"Oh."

She gave the younger girl a sideway glance. "Why did you want to know?"