Chapter 23

Jade Chapter 23, a romance fiction |

Mark had just finished with his physical therapy for the day. Jade was waiting in his room when he rolled back in a wheelchair, an aide right behind him.

She was young and by the look on her face it wasn't hard to tell that she wasn't immune to Mark's charms.

"Thanks, Carla." Mark gave her an appreciative smile and Jade saw her cheeks turn a shade of pink.

"Anytime. Call me if you need anything." She smiled and handed Mark the call light. She looked curiously toward Jade but never said anything before stepping out and closing the door.

Mark rolled himself toward the window, the smile he had on his face quickly disappearing. He had closed off again.

Jade stood up from the chair she was seated on and paced the room for a few minutes, getting her thoughts together.

This couldn't keep up anymore. She was sick of not talking about it. She was tired of him pretending, and keeping it all in. He had to talk about it.

Jade abruptly stopped and looked at him, unable to hold her tongue any longer. "I need you to talk to me, Mark. I need you to tell me what happened that night."

He didn't turn to face her. He only shrugged, his eyes staring outside at the snowy ground.

Jade was frustrated. "You rather talk to a shrink than talk to me?" She asked him, desperate.

"It's funny, that I had to get hurt for you to even acknowledge me." He suddenly said, taking her by surprise. He was now facing her, an indiscernible look on his face.

Jade opened her mouth, as if wanting to say something but nothing came out.

Mark continued. "But I don't care, Jade. I'm glad you're here. I'm probably being selfish but I'm glad you're here with me and not with him."

Jade slowly took a seat of the edge of the bed, as his words dawned on her, her eyes focused on his. "Mark-,"

He suddenly let out a dry laugh. "It's pathetic, right? After what I did to you, I'm still expecting us to be friends again." He shook his head, as if the thought disgusted him. "Ever since that first day you came to see me, I kept asking myself, why? Is it just pity or something more? Why does she keep coming back? After everything that happened, that's all I care about. You being here. "

"Mark-," Jade tried again but he kept going.

"I know I don't deserve you but neither does he, Jade. You deserve so much more. After what Garcia made you go through, and then me...I don't even...it's a wonder you still talk to us. I know what I did at the party was...well stupid and you're probably blaming yourself but it's not your fault. Trust me on that. I knew I was messed up, I knew I was over my limit and Byron tried to stop me but I pushed him away. I got behind the wheel and crashed into that damn tree like the moron that I am. It's all on me. If I lose the scholarship, it's all on me. If I can't play as well as I used to, it's because I made the wrong decision. I did this to myself."

By the time he was done, his respirations had gone up and his face held a grimace while his hand was pressed up against his ribs.

Jade immediately grabbed the call light and pressed the red button.

"I just...I just want things to go back to the way they were and I know...that's impossible but...I..."

He was out of breath.

"Mark, stop trying to talk while you're in pain." Jade finally scolded him. It was obvious he was suffering but he was still bent on getting the words out.