Chapter 7

Jade Chapter 7, a romance fiction |

The events of the basketball game spread like wildfire throughout the school. Once again, Jade's name was coming out of everyone's mouth. Ryan had heard, and surprisingly it wasn't from his sister and he was glad, although Reina had been a little too quiet after she came home from the basketball game. His friends from track had filled him in on it during lunch.

Ryan had caught sight of her throughout the day in the halls. As always, her head was held high, unperturbed by what anyone had to say about her, but there was something else in her expression. He couldn't quite put his finger on it but he caught it briefly in the hall and then again during the student council meeting.

They were discussing the details of the community service they were planning for the week of thanksgiving.

"Everything is set with Mrs. Bernard for New Haven. I told her to expect at least a minimum of 10 volunteers each day and up to 20 on thanksgiving." Ryan announced. "The sign up sheet should be passing around now and with the other organizations and athletes volunteering, we should be able to meet the maximum number of volunteers each day."

"Can we sign up for more than one day?" One of the members asked.

"Definitely, feel free to sign up for as many days and hours as you'd like. It is community service after all and for the juniors and my fellow seniors, it would look great for those college applications I'm sure you've been working on." Ryan said as his eyes swept across the room. That was when he noticed a look on Jade's face, almost like indecisiveness or uncertainty.

"How about donations?" Laura asked.

Ryan's gaze slipped away from Jade and focused on Laura before answering her question. "All donations are welcome, canned goods, clothes, cleaning essentials, pretty much anything."

"Boots and jackets."

Everyone looked toward Jade who had spoken. Up until that point she had remained quiet during the meetings with little to no input. It was rare to hear her contribute. Ryan stared at her along with everyone else.

"For clothes. It's almost winter and Mrs. Bernard mentioned that's what most people look for when they're there, scarves, socks, gloves, those little things." She shrugged, aware that all eyes were on her, some surprised, some curious and others indifferent.

"Thanks, Jade." Ryan said.

She just nodded and looked away. For some reason she seemed uncomfortable. Ryan didn't have much time to ponder on it. He continued on with the meeting and dismissed them not too long after. As people made their way out, he gathered his papers and waited for the sign up sheet to return to him. Jade was one of the people waiting to sign it, along with Wendy and Mandy.

"I would sign up for thanksgiving day but we're going to my grandparents for it," Wendy said to Mandy.

"That's ok, Laura will be there with me." Mandy replied as she signed her name and then looked up at Ryan. "What about you, prez?"

"I should be there on Thursday as well." Ryan answered.

Mandy passed the sheet to Jade. "Cool. Well, see you tomorrow. Bye, Jade."

Jade gave her a slight smile. Wendy looked hesitant for a minute, as if she wanted to say something but thought twice before following Mandy out the door.

Jade and Ryan were the only two left in the room. A few seconds later, Jade looked up from the sheet, catching Ryan staring at her.

She frowned. "What?"

"Are you alright?" He quietly asked her.

"Why, do I not look alright?" She asked him as her frown deepened.