Chapter 8: A Demand For Redemption

I heard the familiar voice suddenly come out and startle me. I've been skittish all day...why? I kept my back turned so that they couldn't see my face but he already knew it was me.

" Answer the question, brat." I was caught by Captain Levi himself. I was busted for sure. It was time to 'fess up.

I tried to wipe my face and hide my tears but I couldn't. I felt sadness wrap itself around me and I was consumed. I cried harder...so hard that I weakly fell to my knees. I decided to just let the tears fall, and fall they did. I've never cried so much in my life, especially over something like this. Trying to talk behind my tears I mumbled, " L-Look, it's n-nothing okay?" I tried to sound as calm as possible but it was obvious I was a mess.

I heard heavy boots scraping against the gravel and stop right next to me. " Doesn't sound like nothing. No one cries unless they hurt, no one cries unless they are broken or sad." He kneeled down next to me and kept talking in his cold tone, " Whatever it is that's hurting you, crying about it won't make it stop hurting you." He then stood up slowly. "Get up and wipe your face off. You're practically an adult."

Before I even voluntarily got up I felt a strong pull on the back of my shirt yanking me up to my feet. I wiped the tears out of my eyes and looked right at Levi. He was staring up at me and giving me a cold gaze. The gaze was cold yet warm and comforting in a weird way. I might be the only one on the planet who ever thought Levi was comforting.

Just before anything "exciting" happened, I heard a cry out from Armin, " (Y/N)!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!?" I could hear the panic in his voice and decided to yell back to him, " NEAR THE STABLES! DON'T WORRY, I'M OKAY!" I practically could imagine Mikasa quickly answering with I wasn't worried.

Armin then immediately yelled back to me that he was coming down to get me. I wasn't ready to face him, or anyone for that matter but I was too upset to say anything to them. And Armin is my friend, I can't lie to him.. I felt guilt rush over me and once again I was crying.

Levi was just watching me in complete disgust and rolling his eyes frequently. I know I was being stupid..I..knew that..and yet...I couldn't help myself. Armin finally made his way down the hill, panting and out of breath. " (Y/N)...we've come...to....get...you. W-....Why..did you...run off...so..suddenly?" He put his hands on his knees and tried to catch his breath.

Levi looked at Armin and crossed his arms, "This is your problem now." He nudged his elbow in my direction and Armin, while still wheezing uncontrollably, nodded in agreement. "Yes sir."

I knew after what he said to Armin that he was insinuating on leaving but I needed to ask Levi about my recruitment process.So I tapped his shoulder. " Excuse me, sorry to interrupt, but uh" I looked begrudgingly at Levi, " Can I speak with you in your office please? I won't be long." I glazed over at Armin for permission.

Armin took the hint and nodded, "I'll let Eren know you're with Levi . " He waved and just left. Why does Jaeger care if I'm with Levi?

I was so surprised that he would just leave but I didn't think too much about it. Levi looked at me with such cold dead eyes. " What do you want? I don't have any money for you."

" I don't want money. I just want to talk to you. "

" About money?" He cocked his head to one side in confusion and then raised a thin black eyebrow.