Chapter Twenty Nine

follow me on Instagram for my own fanart of harper and the guys :D

enjoy!

Chapter Twenty Nine

"Where are the meat lover pizzas?!" the manager Elric calls hitting the tiny bell impatiently.

"Here!" My co-worker Billy answers carrying the boxes to Elric. She trips on her own feet and Elric quickly catches the pizzas before they crash to the ground. He shakes his head disapprovingly and she shrinks back.

"I'm gonna get fired soon...aren't I?" She asks and her eyes water. I pat her on the shoulder for reassurance.

Elric is in his late twenties and this is his work for a living, every day pizza. Billy is fourteen and is the clumsiest person I know.

Something bad always happens when she's working. While Billy was using the frozen yogurt machine it started making weird noises and then the yogurt wouldn't stop pouring out covering the floor in strawberry gooeyness.

Elric did not let her use the machine after that. Her main job is to clean the tables and take peoples orders. Soon I don't think she's even going to be allowed to touch any food.

The pizza place is on the outside of the mall and working in this heat is killer. Why did I have to love food so much? At least I'm on the cash register away from the ovens, I feel sorry for the guys who have to cook.

Most of the people who come here order frozen yogurt over pizza. I don't blame them, I would too in hot weather.

It's been a week since Skyler got shot by Jason at school. I haven't heard much of his recovery from working a lot and going to a counsellor everyday. I've been sleeping better without images of a gun pointed to my head.

Dad is so worried about me he sleeps in the games room, which is next to mine, if I have a nightmare. The night of the attack I woke up screaming and scared him half to death.

Keeping myself busy has helped too. I go on walks and play with a soccer ball outside. Some of the guys have come over to keep me company and I'm grateful they have. Sky pops in now and again after seeing her brother, Skyler, at the hospital every morning.

The guys and I all went to see him and got the biggest teddy bear we could find, which was fifty inches, with a balloon that says 'get well soon' from at the gift shop. Skyler stared at the bear in disbelief not believing we would get him something crazy.

"Dude you survived getting shot by a bullet!" Ivan said.

That cheered him up somewhat a bit and things were getting better for him after that happy to have his friends around.

"Hey Harper!" Sky greets coming into the fast food place.

"Hey!" A grin spreads across my face seeing her. Nothing like a friend to visit while you work. "I'm going on break." I tell Billy and she nods her head.

We sit down at one of the empty tables inside so that we don't die from heat stroke. Sky drops her shopping bags and sighs dramatically.

"It's so hot!" She complains fanning herself. Today has been one of the hottest yet and I'm stuck here while I would love to be in the pool back home. Just think of getting paid.

"Did you buy the whole mall out?" I ask staring dumbfounded at the amount of bags she has.

"One can never over shop." Sky grins wickedly.