Chapter 3- Befriending the cousin

I could feel my throat clogging up. I stood there speechless in front of him, while he just stared at me with an impassive face. I wouldn't believe what he said. I knew Julian more than he did. Julian was my brother; the one whom I shared my past with. I knew he was lying. First of all, he called Julian, Martin, then he accused him of committing murder. I shook my head.

''You're lying.'' it came out as a soft whisper. I again shook my head hardly, tears forming in my eyes. ''You're lying, Julian wouldn't ever do that.'' I exclaim. I held back my tears. He already considered me as weak; I didn't want him to think worse than that.

He let out a bitter chuckle and got up, leaning dangerously close to my face. I wanted to look away. He was giving me shivers with the close proximity. ''Hunter Rodriguez doesn't do lies. Remember, Melissa.'' I gulped, which caused him to stare at me for a few seconds before leaning back and walking out the door.

I broke down. I let it all out. I couldn't believe what was happening to me. I was abducted for false reasons. I fell down on my knees, with my hands covering my face as I cried. That was the first time I cried in a long time; the last was when Julian ate my Gummy Worms when we were 13. My muffled sobs echoed throughout the room.

The door was slowly opened, resulting in me wiping my eyes hurriedly, however not making a move to get up. ''Melissa ?'' I immediately snapped my eyes to the door, as I recognized Eli's voice. So far, the only one person who's ever been kind to me is Eli. I looked down and wiped my eyes and nose consciously. He walked to me and bent down, examining my face. Putting both his hands on my shoulders in a reassuring stance, he asked me, ''Hey, are you okay ?'' Seeing my red eyes and nose, he again asked, ''You're crying. Did Hunter do anything to you ?'' he trailed his eyes down my body, searching for any harm.

''No, he didn't. The truth did.'' I said quietly. He furrowed his eyebrows but straightened them as he realized what I was saying. A lone tear fell from my eyed down my cheek. At some point, what Hunter said did make sense. Julian used to make up irrelevant and dumb excuses whenever I caught him leaving the house at odd hours. He never used to bring any of his friends home. He always kept to himself and tried to avoid me going with him somewhere, apart from yesterday.

''I-I don't know what to say ?'' he stuttered and held my gaze; we were eye- level. I gulped. ''Is Julian alive or dead as how Hunter says ?'' I stared intensely at him. Eli looked at me with a masked expression and turned away. ''Is he ?'' I asked softly again. I had some hope in me that Julian might be alive, due to his hesitation. He removed his hands from my shoulders and ran a hand through his hair, messing it up. I sighed in frustration.

''Tell me, Eli ! Is my brother still alive ? If he is, please tell me.'' I clutched his neat white shirt in my fists  making him turn to my face, crumpling it, my voice laced with desperation. He opened his mouth and closed it a few times, before he finally spoke. ''He-''

''Eli.'' Hunter spoke firmly and loudly, causing Eli to snap his gaze to Hunter and get up, leaving me on the ground. Hunter gave me a hard look and turned to Eli, motioning behind him. ''Nathan's waiting.'' Eli nodded at him and walked ahead, giving me a final glance.

Suddenly, I felt dizzy as if the world was rotating, giving me a headache. My eyes rolled up and I felt my knees giving out, everything turning black.

***

''Hunter would never raise his hand against a girl, he morals too you know. I wonder when she's going to- Wait. she's awake ! Quick, Tiff. Come here.'' I could here someone, a female, squealing, making my ears hurt. I groaned and tried sitting up, while the girl just pushed me down. ''No no, don't get up.'' When my eyesight finally became clear, I observed the girl that sat beside me. She was pretty with black hair and brown- honey eyes.