Chapter 9- Scraped Knee

Chapter 9- Scraped knee

I put on a cardigan over my maid outfit and stood outside Eli's room. We were finally set for getting the stuff he wanted. Which, by the way, I had no idea about.

He finally came out, looking as crisp as ever, with an ordinary white- tee and and a suit over it along with a pair of jeans. His outfit was normal, but he wasn't. I had to restraint myself from looking at him. He'd mistake me for some kind of obsessed freak.

His eyes raked over my figure and stopped at my face. "No offence, Melissa, but you can't go out like that," I felt my heart clenching in happiness as well as sadness. He did feel concerned for me, but he didn't want to be seen with a maid.

"What are you saying, Eli ?" I had to confirm that he didn't indirectly mean that I looked ugly.

He put his hands up. "I'm just saying that, to save yourself the embarrassment of going out, you can just borrow one of Tiffany's dresses, right ?" My eyes widened.

"You think I'd be embarrassed to be seen out like this ?" my voice almost cracked. He was actually concerned about me. Just thinking about it, brought butterflies to my chest.

"Well, aren't you ?" he ran a hand through his hair. I wanted to yank his hand out, so that he wouldn't spoil his perfectly done hair. I grinned.

"You could say that. . ." I trailed off. He raised a finger and placed his hand on my arm, sending a trail of shivers down my spine. Keeping it in his hold, he led me from the hallway to Tiffany's room, passing the East Wing.

Releasing my arm, he knocked twice on Tiffany's door. She opened in a jiffy with a huge smile in her face, which looked foreign to me, considering I hadn't ever seen her smiling so vividly. However, her smile faltered when she saw me. Her eyes flickered between us, till she cleared her throat.

"Can I help you with something, Eli ?" she asked in her sweetest voice and fluttered her eyelashes. Confusion swirled around me. I never knew Tiffany liked Eli. Or maybe she didn't like him like that ! Gosh, maybe it was just an exchange to please her boss. Of course, people aren't always like me.

"Yes-" Eli turned his face and grinned at me. "Melissa just needed a dress to wear out. I'll leave you both to it," he told her and caught my arm, before I could enter Tiffany's room.

"We need to go as soon as possible," he gave me a look with his eye and released my arm. Nodding, I headed inside to Tiffany's room, who looked as if she could strangle someone. I placed my hand on her arm, immediately bringing her to my attention.

"Are you okay ?" I asked wearily, not really sure if she was in a good mood anymore. She clenched her teeth and crossed both her arms, giving me a demeaning look.

"What's the deal with you and Eli ?"

My mouth opened, taken aback by her words. Her whole demeanour had changed. She seemed so closed off and cold, as if I had just told her that I had killed her pet hamster. When I realised, she had narrowed her eyes at me, I waved my arms in surrender.

"Nothing ! Nothing's going on !" Of course, I might have liked the guy, but I wouldn't ever think about dating him.

I might have, but they'll never come true, anyway.

"Nothing ?" her eyes were like two narrow slits with her stance, predator- like. She was waiting for the opportunity to pounce if my answer came out wrong in any way.

"Yes, God !" I slightly shook my head, starting with !y explanation. "Eli just wanted to take me-" I abruptly stopped. I didn't know why Eli wanted to take me; if I say that, Tiffany's would be even more suspicious.