Chapter 23- Ambush

Chapter 23– Ambush

Melissa's P.O.V.

Two days.

It had been two days since I had successfully avoided Hunter. And let me tell you, it was near to impossible. But Eli's existence made it easier, since all I had to was talk to him and he'd go on and on, leading Hunter away from me.

I didn't want to see him. I hated him. Almost.

Currently, I was in my room after taking a bath and was rubbing my hair with the towel for the water droplets to wear off. All of a sudden, the door sprang open and the next thing I knew, I was pinned against my wardrobe. 

Golden--brown orbs stared against my green ones and I felt my breath shortening. There was no denying that the man in front of me was attractive as sin. He stared at me intently and his face grew dangerously closer to mine.

''Why are you avoiding me ?" He scrutinized my face and I looked away, fearing that he might come even closer, "I need an answer, now."

My breath shortened, feeling uncomfortable. Placing a hand on his rock-hard chest, I tried pushing him away, but he resisted it. "Why, Melissa ?"

I could just blurt out what I had seen last week. But I had already promised him that I wouldn't eavesdrop on others' conversations and if he came to know I did, he wouldn't trust me anymore.

"Hunter, please," I pleaded him and struggled to get away from his hold, but he took both my wrists in one of his hands, while the other was holding my waist.

He just stared into my eyes, failing to notice that his actions were making me uncomfortable. He suddenly leaned in and skimmed my ear with his lip, making me move my head. "Tell me why."

I didn't know what to do and slowly with each passing second, my fave reddened. I didn't want Hunter to know that he affected me in that way. So I looked around for Eli, but stopped when I realised that Hunter had slammed my door shut.

I didn't want to tell him the reason why, but he had to know. He had to know that I too had feelings and wasn't some object that could be used as bait.

"Fine," I started; piquing Hunter's interest. Taking in a shallow breathing, I continued, "you wanna know why I've been avoiding for you two weeks, I'll tell you. Because you need to know this."

Gulping, I prevented myself from showing any signs of vulnerability. "I'm not some toy or object that you can use as bait or for your personal amusement. I'm only human, Hunter, and I fucking have feelings. Whatever you do, whatever you say, effects me. Can't you see that ?"

His eyes flickered and his expression softened a bit. "Last week you took me out, making me believe that. . .that what you did was genuine. I didn't see you as the person you were, Hunter. But then, later I. . .I heard you telling Nathan that–that whatever happened that day was fake. That you did it all just because you could trap my brother."

Tears unexpected flowed down my cheeks. It hurt. A fucking lot. The guy I liked used me to get to my brother. Wiping them away, I chuckled bitterly. "Huh, but why would you care ?"

His eyebrows furrowed, as he made a confused face. He slowly raised his hand to my face, and for a split second I thought he was going to hit me. But he just traced his thumb on my cheek. "Why wouldn't I care ?" He whispered, making my heart rate speed up.

"Because whatever you may say or do, you'll just be using me," I replied, not looking at him in the eyes, rather his hand which was on my cheek.

"That's what you think ?" If I hadn't known Hunter better, I'd think that he had on a pained expression. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down, and he added, "it's not what you think."