Chapter 27- Strategy

Chapter 27– Strategy

Melissa's P.O.V.

It didn't take long before we reached the gang house. London was a mess; she was trying to console Tiffany that everything would be alright, but failed to compose herself well enough. When I approached them, they just shooed me away saying that I didn't know Allison well enough and that I wouldn't feel the kind of desperation that they did.

The funny thing was, I did. I knew exactly how it felt. To have a loved one get taken away right in front of your eyes. In my case, I thought he was taken away from me for eternity.

But that's not the case now.

The driver abruptly parked the car in front and the two crying girls hastily rushed into the house, no doubt to find Hunter. I sighed and followed them; there wasn't much I could do, considering they both were just shunning me out.

"Oh Hunter !" London's sharp cry pierced my ear and I looked up to see Hunter descending the staircase.

"What happened ?" He asked her, with furrowed eyebrows. I didn't miss the concerned look he shot me at me.

"Allison-she-Allison," London's breath caught in her throat and she bent down, wiping her tears furiously. I moved to comfort her, but Tiffany quickly placed a hand on London's back and slid it up and down the length of her back. I pursed my lips and stayed rooted at my spot.

"Hunter, I know we all promised to stick together, but then there were differences between us. Melissa didn't wanna stick around us so she left us while Allison said she was gonna be right back. I don't know how it happened, but she-she's gone," Tiffany narrated what happened and her voice slightly cracked at the end. I sighed in a low voice, this was so tiring.

We all expected Hunter to panic and call out for either Eli or Nathan, but he simply stood there with a ghost of a smirk on his lips. I tilted my head to the side in confusion. Was this reaction normal ?

He walked in front and laid a hand on London's shoulder and said, "Don't worry girls, we'll have her back, safe and sound."

As he walked away, I couldn't shake the feeling that he wamted exactly this to happen.

***

As London and Tiffany parted ways so that they could brood together, I stayed back since I got word that Eli and Hunter were discussing something important. Call me a fucking traitor for all I care, but this was the only way to get intel on them and their next move.

"Are out of your goddamn mind, Hunter ! How could you risk the life of one of our own ?" Eli lashed out at Hunter, while I stood hidden behind the wall of the hallway.

"What I did was planned and lower your voice," Hunter ordered him and I held in a breath. Did he know I was here ?

"Hunter," Eli began in a low voice, but I could sense the amount of venom laced in his words. "in all meetings so far, we haven't taken such a decision. Tell me, is it just yours ? You know you need the consent-"

"Of course, I discussed it beforehand with Nathan. As the third in command, he agreed. But you weren't present, Eli. I didn't question about your whereabouts because I thought you-" Hunter suddenly cut himself off mid-sentence and I once again feared that he might have realized there was an eavesdropper.

"Whatever, the point is that this is all strategy. Allison knew this too. She was the one to volunteer when I suggested the idea. It's all just a trap to lure out fucking Grayson," Hunter continued.