Chapter 10- Hidden Secret

Chapter 10- Hidden secret

As I was waiting desperately for Eli to return, a shuffling noise caught my ears and I looked behind me, fear taking over my features. I couldn't bear to think if there was someone else here. I was in a helpless state and with this person, who without any doubt would be a danger to me. I wanted to knock my head on the car door so badly. I should have just listened to Eli and stayed in the car. That way I'd be protected in the car without a scraped knee.

And so I made up my mind. Knee or no knee, I'd make it to the passenger seat; I just had to control the pain and stinging. I got up, using the car handles as support and slowly manoeuvred my way to the opposite side. The pain was full on hitting me, but I bit my tongue and gripped my knee with my other arm to control the pain.

The same shuffling noise returned, making my aching heart beat faster. A gasp slipped out of my mouth, when I caught sight of a shadowy figure racing through the trees, beside the car. The person stopped to glance at me and for a moment I held my breath. He then turned back and retreated into the thick canopy of trees.

I slid into the car and locked the door. Not believing what I had just seen, I let out a few short breaths to calm myself down. It was helping for the first five seconds, but when a loud 'boo' was heard at my door, I screamed and tried my best to stay away from my door. I let out a sigh when I spotted Eli's grinning face at the door window.

Calming myself down, the urge to smack Eli's face grew stronger as he got in the driver seat, laughing. "Scared you, didn't I ?" he asked, staring at me with a smile.

"Oh, more than you'll ever know," I muttered, keeping a hand over my racing heart. The worst part was that Eli didn't seem to notice my terrified expression and anxiety. It irritated me more than ever.

He started the engine and drove out if the dark alleyway. When I removed my hands, the blood on them was darker and thicker than ever. So was the pain.

"Eli ?" My voice came out strangled, in pain.

"Yes ?" he glanced over at me, this time with a worried expression.

"Would you have a first aid kit ? I scraped my knee and it's bleeding," I answer. His expression morphs into one of utter horror and he suddenly stops the car, jerking me forward.

"What ?" he asks, even tenser than before. I was going to repeat what I said when he continued. "How on earth would you scrape your knee in a car ?" This was the moment I was dreading. I didn't want to tell him I have gone out, after the strict instructions he gave me to stay in.

"I. . . I got out. Only because you were taking too long to return !" I grew worried under his tense face. He shook his head before murmuring profanities under his breath. "Now come on," he stated and got out of the car, rushing to my side.

He opened my door and slid an arm around my waist and one around the region below my neck. Scooping me in his arms, he carried me out and gently placed me on the bonnet of the car. "Don't move."

I pursed my lips and stayed right in my spot, as he opened the passenger seat and bent down to retrieve a first- aid kit. Coming to me, he took out a bottle of water and a cotton ball, rinsing my wound with it. I winced, as I felt like someone was heating my skin. He lightly dabbed the area and applied some antibiotic cream.

''Won't you say anything ?'' I tucked my hair under my ear. I was so worried that he'd be disappointed in me. It was the first time I'd ever gone out, after being locked in for something that my brother did.

''What should I say ? I told you to stay in the car, because I knew that the whole area was dangerous. But you had to go and disobey me.'' he shook his head and I felt my stomach drop. I had failed to obey him, I failed him. Even though I hadn't committed anything big, I really wanted to make a good impression on Eli and so far it was going good. I didn't want him to think of me as someone so careless and disobedient.