Chapter 29 - Mistaken

Chapter 29– Mistaken

Hunter's P.O.V.

Fury coursing through me, I directed my icy cold glare at the Chief who was leading the group of renovators.

It was yesterday that the garden was on fire and London and Melissa's lives were in danger. Twenty-five hours since I had heard the most annoying crap from Eli's mouth. 

I couldn't control my anger.

My mind believed that all I felt for Melissa was just attraction and after one fuck I'd be done with her. But my heart was unmoving. It believed that what I felt for her was more than lust.

I wasn't even sure what to believe anymore.

Yet hearing Eli spout out shit about me hurting her feelings got to me, and I was raging. I was on the border of insanity.

"If you don't get that crap fixed in less than six hours, mark my words, you won't live to see the next day," I threatened one of the scrawny boys who were busy gathering the bricks and cement.

"Y-yes sir, of course," he replied and fixed his safety helmet with shaky fingers. Shaking my head at his lousy behavior, I stomped to my office.

I could hear Nathan murmur something to them, but I could care less. I just wanted the day over and to get some peace of mind. Eli's words were a fucking huge block in my mind that I couldn't lift.

Slumping down in my swivel-chair, I extended my legs onto my table and put the glass of water to my lips. After taking barely a sip, I set it down, rather harshly on the table when I heard Nathan come in without a knock.

"The next time you decide not to knock, will be your last, Nathan," I muttered, staring at him. He just rolled his eyes and stood in the opposite end of the table.

"Hunter, you're being an ass."

I laughed. "Didn't need a genius to figure that out," I chuckled and replied back. I wouldn't lie; I was pissier that usual and it was no secret that it was all because of a certain blonde.

Oh, let's not exclude my shitty second-in-comand too.

"Look, Hunter, I've known you since we were kids," Nathan started, glancing at me with a sort of pity and sympathy in his eyes. "you haven't had the best childhood and it's all because of the the gang. But you've always held your ground, always been calm. You've always been hot-headed, but never showed it openly. Weren't you the one who said not to put your emotions out in the open ?"

I stared at him, unblinking. When he didn't fetch a reply from me, he sighed and continued, "Look, I know why you're in such a pissy mood. It's because of Melissa, isn't it ? You're worried Eli i-

"I'm going to stop you right there, Nathan. I don't entertain bullshit in my office."

''Yeah, you can just tell me to shut up, but even you know what's the truth.''

''I DON'T ANYMORE !'' I screamed out, not holding it in anymore. And it was the truth. I didn't know what was what. My mind screamed no but my heart screamed yes. So do I really like her ? 

''I'll go check on the renovators, boss.'' Nathan nodded and exited my office, not before giving me a lingering look that said  'you better sort this out'. I stood up and gripped the end of my table. What was I supposed to do now ?

I didn't know what was going on, until my feet carried me to Melissa's room on their own accord. I blinked furiously, when I realised where I was. Holding in a breath, I was about to knock when I noticed light trickling out of the room and the door cracked a bit open.