Chapter 28- Fire

Chapter 28 – Fire

Melissa's P.O.V.

I was humming a catchy song that London had made me listen to all by myself, when suddenly I felt a presence behind me.

I turned around quickly, and held my breath when I realized it was Eli.

He was so close.

So close.

He stood right in front of me, a grin dangling from his lips. His hair was messy and he wore casual jeans and a hoodie, unlike the pants and shirts he always wore.

"Hey," he whispered with a mischievous smile. I smile back with unease and offered him a wave. My back was pressed against the kitchen counter, since I was preparing Tiffany a sandwich. Well–it wasn't like I wanted to; she ordered me to.

"I'm hungry too," he stated, whilst staring at the half-made sandwich on the counter.

"Hmm, how about I make you one ? I was going to give Tiffany this," I suggested, to which he nodded happily and sat down at the table. He proposed his arms on the table and supported his face with his arms.

He looked so cute. Almost like an innocent teenager.

It didn't take long before I made him his veg. burger. I had once heard Tiffany telling someone that Eli was a vegetarian. I handed it to him on a plate and he smiled at me warmly, taking it from my hand. "Thanks," he grinned at me and his fingers lightly brushed mine.

He most probably didn't even notice.

"Ah, that tastes amazing," he remarked and closed his eyes, savouring the taste.

"I'm glad you think so."

"I'm not even lying. After a stressful day with Hunter, this is just relieving. Thanks, Melissa."

"Hunter ?' I asked, his sudden revelation spiking my interest. Recently, for some reason I kept thinking about Hunter. I don't know if it was because of Allison's absence, but he always seemed to. . .just be there. And it amazed me.

Eli suddenly stopped eating and placed his sandwich back on the plate. Staring intensely at me, he asked lowly," Can I ask you something. . .Melissa ?"

I gulped and pursed my lips. I wanted to say no. I had an unnerving feeling that it had something to do with Hunter and I was in no mood to answer. But I nodded anyway.

"Do you. . .do you like Hunter ?''

My eyes widened and for a moment I felt myself break into a cold sweat. What the hell ! He can't just ask me that ! I was still trying to get over my crush for Hunter. I laughed nervously and shook my head. "What-what on earth are you asking, Eli ? I couldn't possibly–"

"Melissa," he cut me off with a stern look. "You don't need to lie and hide your feelings. It's more than evident that you like him. It's not just me; Nathan, London and Tiffany, we all know. Heck, even Allison. There's something going on between the two of you and you know that even you can't deny that."

That shut me up. I couldn't deny it. He was right. There was this unspoken attraction between us. The irresistible chemistry that sparked an interest in me for him wasn't one-sided. That I could tell. Well-he may not exactly like me, but he was attracted to me. That was for sure.

Or more like something that I'd like to believe.

The scraping noise of the chair snapped me back to reality. Eli was now standing, his six foot figure looming over me. "I don't wanna see you hurt. You think that he likes you, but he doesn't. He's obviously just playing you to get to your brother. In the end, you don't matter. It's just Martin he wants."