Chapter 09

See I look to good for this necklace

And I look to good to be wearing this

You know I look way too good to be innocent

I'm conceited I got a reason

See I look way to good to be driving that

And I look to good to be buying that

You know I look way to good to be trying that

I'm conceited I got a reason

Conceited - Remy Martin

I jumped around my room feeling extremely excited. So Sunny Villa didn’t have big news covered teen beauty competitions but it had small weekend ones and I hadn’t been in one for so long that I was excited. Jet Lag - Simple Plan blasted in my room as I jumped around, my hair flying around as I sang the lyrics at the top of my lungs. Maybe all of my excitement wasn’t just the adrenaline...I did have a ton of coffee just now.

“YOU SAY GOOD MORNING WHEN IT’S MIDNIGHT!” I started with the chorus, I was in too good a mood. Yesterday had to be the greatest nights of my life and I’d made up with Jase. Nothing could go wrong…unfortunately that was just naïve thinking.

“Urgh. Kay!” Mum yelled over my music, I jumped over my bed and turned the music off. She looked crap, no doubt my mum was over the top drunk, she had red blotchy eyes and her hair looked like an untamed lion. She was still wearing the clothes she was wearing yesterday morning so I assumed she either just got home or she slept like that.

“Sorry mum.” I said, holding my hands behind my back and throwing her my newly practiced pagent smile.

“Oh shit. The competition is today isn’t it? Sorry Kay…I think I’ll sit this one out I’m not feeling very good.” She said closing the door behind her without waiting for my reply, I sighed. Great. There was one thing wrong with the day. I held up my silver halter neck dress and it glistened in the sun for a moment. I heard the familiar tink of my window and I went to open it.

“Going somewhere?” Vincent asked, it looked like he had just gotten out of bed, his hair was sexed up and his eyes still half closed looking sleep. Another thing, he was standing there in just his track pants. I gasped at him, he had a lovely looking body. Was it me...or was his body just natrually glowing? It was like someone just rubbed oil over that sizzlin-

STOP LOOKING KAY.

“Oh uh yeah. I’m in the Sunny beauty competition.” I said, holding the dress to show him. “Did I wake you up?” I asked biting my lip. He ran a hand through his hair and yawned.

“Mhm, if that was you singing just then. Yeah you woke me up.” He said, our eyes caught for a moment. My phone started ringing and I ducked under my window to go and answer it. Jase’s name flashed on the screen and I flicked it open answering it.

“ARE YOU EXCITED? I can’t wait! The last time I wore a nice dress was like-” I began into the phone but he cut me off.

“Kay…I can’t go,” He said simply.

“WHY?" I asked with my I demand to know why! tone of voice. He sounded tired and exhausted. Jase was my ride to the competition and the only one who’d be watching me since mum was too hung over. I felt my happiness slide away as I sat on the edge of my bed frowning.

“We have to drive upstate in an hour. Grandpa’s taking another turn.” He said. Jase loved his grandpa and I knew how much this meant to him.

“It’s…cool. Don’t worry go see him. I’ll talk to you later.” I said hanging up sighing.