Chapter 24

My head snapped up immediately waking me from my sleep, with my heart pounding I realized my alarm clock had gone off. I sighed as my eyes felt sticky from yesterday. The sounds of the alarm clock continued to echo in my head and reluctantly I stretched forward and pressed the off button and stretched my arms realizing I had fallen asleep under the window. I ran a hand through my tangled and horrid hair and stood up; feeling every bone in my body protest heavily. I ignored everything I felt and took a step forward but suddenly the curtain twirled around my foot causing me to slide onto the floor. I groaned in pain as I felt like something sharp and pointy had cut me, my hands shook as I examined my hands I'd fallen into the broken mirror that I smashed yesterday. I stared at the oozing blood as it dripped onto the floor and I began to hyperventilate, I used to have nightmares about blood so seeing it now freaked me, what freaked me out more was seeing it gush out along with shards of glass inside my hands.

"Kay, darling do you want lun..." my mum swung the door open with ease and she stared at me while my hands trembled. "Oh dear me..." she whispered, I stared at her as I began to whimper. I opened my mouth to say something but she was already on the phone requesting an ambulance.

"Th...the...blood mummy." I stuttered, feeling like a little girl again. I could feel myself beginning to panic, I was starting to remember my nightmares and the shaking became worse.

"Kay, honey it's okay. Look at me. I'm right here." my mum coaxed me I kept my eyes on her and she smiled and just began talking but I couldn't hear what she was saying. I was suddenly feeling dizzy. I could hear loud sounds outside and my mum disappeared for a moment...I was tired.

For a moment I felt light as a feather and voices were talking to me but I didn't want to open my eyes...I heard a little voice in my heart whisper I don't want to open my eyes if I can't hear Jase's voice.

I used to remember a time when everything was simple, when everything was sweet and everything didn't have an underlying meaning. There used to be a time when I could smile at someone without any issue, I wonder when did that change? When did everything become so hard? I never asked for any of this.

 ~~~~

When I opened my eyes it was later in the day, lying on a squeaky hospital bed with the window open I felt at peace because no one knew where I was or who I am. The sky was bright and the trees were swaying with the high sun, it must have been around lunch time. I lifted my arms feeling the tightness of the bandages wrapped securely around them.

Gees, if Jase was here now I wonder what he would say.

"God Kay, you're such a klutz. I'm not in your life for five minutes and you literally turn emo and hurt yourself?!" I mocked him doing my best Jase voice; making me laugh at the bad impression and the words themself. It sounds like something he'd say, if he were here to say it. I looked around at the empty white room, though no one was here to hear me say it and Jase wasn't here to say it to me.

"Glad to see you're not a depressed emo and you still have a sense of humour to laugh at yourself." My head snapped towards the door to see Ben standing there with a corny “Get Better” balloon in his hands.

"What are you doing here? How did you even know I'm here?" I asked him. It was strange - maybe Ben was really like literally stalking me because it felt that way. Though not the bad kind it was just he was always there...like he had perfect timing or something.

"When I couldn't find you in class today – we got an A by the way. I called your phone to see where you were and your mother answered and told me to keep an eye on you because she had to deal with large major corps trying to steal her presentation contract or something." As he spoke he walked in the room, he had taken my talking to him as permission to enter - not that it was.