Chapter 22

I'm wide awake
Yeah, I was in the dark
I was falling hard
With an open heart
I'm wide awake
How did I read the stars so wrong

I'm wide awake
And now it's clear to me
That everything you see
Ain't always what it seems
I'm wide awake
Yeah, I was dreaming for so long

(Pre-Chorus)
I wish I knew then
What I know now
Wouldn't dive in
Wouldn't bow down
Gravity hurts
You made it so sweet
Till I woke up on
On the concrete

(Chorus)
Falling from the night
Crashing from the high
I'm letting go tonight
(Yeah I'm) Falling from cloud 9

I'm wide awake
Not losing any sleep
I picked up every piece
And landed on my feet
I'm wide awake

Katy Perry – Wide Awake

The second most hardest thing I've had to do was watch Jase play basketball while I waited for Vincent (who kindly offered) to drive me home. Every time Jase glided through the court flashes of our lunch time conversation flashed through my head, I looked away from the court and rubbed my hands together. I felt stupid but what could I do?

"I feel a little foolish for waiting for you in the car park when you're actually here." I looked up to see Ben timidly sitting next to me, I raised an eyebrow at his sudden reappearance and annoyance and déjà vu decided it would visit me.

"Just because we are being civil during class doesn't mean that you can talk to me now." I warned him, yes I was a girl who could hold a grudge but tell me who wouldn't hold a grudge if they were in my position? I realised my tone of voice was a little harsher than I meant it to be, but it's not like I could take back the words now. The day was just getting worse and I didn't feel like putting on a brave smiling front, especially around Ben.

Why do so many problems arise in my life NOW?

"I realise that now. But perhaps...if you heard me out?" He requested but I shot him down. I had enough drama to deal with already I didn't want to know anymore than I had to.

"I don't really care right now Ben. I have too many things to worry about. I don't need you to make it any worse." I told him hoping he'd get the message, but as usual Ben was persistent as he ever was.

"I believe there are things I need to tell you now." He argued sounding desperate and I rolled my eyes. I opened my mouth to say something when a basketball came flying out of nowhere and hit the narrow space between me and Ben. My whole body froze as the bleachers shook with the force of impact. Either someone was playing aggressively or someone did not want me talking to Ben. Our heads turned in sync to the basketball court and I saw Vincent smile sheepishly at me as he waved and shrugged his shoulders.

"A little help?" Jase asked stepping forward his voice coated with agitation, he didn't even glance at me once. Ben sighed muttering something under his breath and picked up the basketball and twirled it on his middle finger. I looked around where was the coach?

"Are you referring to the fact you obviously need help with the game or you'd like the ball back?" Ben remarked back. This caught the attention of the whole basketball team, Vincent ran a hand through his hair and walked off a little while Jase didn't not break his stare with Ben.

"Be careful new kid. We're state champions I don't think you want to mess with us." Another player from the basketball team commented with a cocky chuckle. My jaw tightened, I knew Ben was a fighter but so were the basketball team. The number of brawls they had must have been a record or something.

"No, of course I wouldn't insinuate anything like that. I was asking him, who clearly can't play the game right." Ben growled back as he stood up walking down the bleachers. He must have been referring to Vincent who threw the ball.

"Are you trying to pick a fight with me?" Jase asked, I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Vincent threw the ball...so why is Jase the angry one?

"I'm just finishing what you have started." Ben replied aggressively stepping onto the edge of the court. Ben's footsteps echoed and I panicked for a moment letting my fingers curl involuntarily around the bleacher.