Chapter 30

VINCENT:  

I stood in the hallway of Jase's hospital room. It was too late, my hand rested on the door frame as I stared into the dark room. If I had entered even once I couldn't muster any words to say to him. I couldn't forgive him. Jase had left after signing the disclosure papers, he didn't even bother to visit Kay. He was so heartless. I slightly banged my fist against the wall - the stinging pain tingling down to my wrist. I left the sight before I got any angrier there was no point wasting my thoughts on him.  

My feet lightly took me down the corridor towards Kay's room. I opened the door to the dim room. The heart monitor machine was really the only comforting sound. I stared at her pale calm sleeping face. She almost looked like a sleeping beauty. I found myself wandering closer to her trying to close all this distance in between the room. It wasn't until I was towering over her did I realise what I wanted to do…I bit my lip and clenched my fists…  

If it was like a fairy tale I could just kiss her - that electric feeling would just make her wake up. My heart pounded, what was I thinking? What was it that I was doing? I leaned down, her chest evenly raised and fell with her breathing. I stared at her face I was so close…  

Would you wake up?  

I stopped myself inches from her face. What was I thinking? I leaned away. I distanced myself from her.  I walked around the room to clear my head, running my hands  through my hair and messing it up.  

"If he he was here." It was the first time I spoke, the words were already exploding in my head. I watched for a sign, her finger twitched. Was that my imagination? "If he was here you'd be awake, you'd look at him and forgive him. Wouldn't you Kay?" The words felt bitter, he was out of my head but still in these words. It was like every time I thought of her he was the attachment that came with her. "How can you forgive him?" I almost growled at her, "did I never stand a chance?" I hated feeling this way. Feeling like a second choice, someone who wasn't going to finish this race when I so desperately wanted to. "Why did I fall in love with you? …why did you let me, if you felt this way?" I felt the burning sensations in my eyes and I blinked it away…this was stupid crying to a girl who couldn't even hear me. "Don't…don't ignore me Kay…" I mumbled, speaking my honest words drained me mentally and physically of all my energy and I stumbled into a nearby arm rest. She didn't move again. I was only consoled by the heart rate monitor that beeped in the room. I stared at the half silhouette of the girl I couldn't get out of my head. 

Ben:  

My eyes were attracted to her, she didn't even bother to stare at me as she tided the room for me. Her soft red curls bouncing slightly as she took a step. I wanted to run my fingers through her hair and pull her face closer to mine. Her eyes finally met mine and we both froze my heart skipping a beat. It had been doing that lately. Every time her gaze met mine - it was like an instant moment of attraction. Did she notice? Oh gosh, what if she knew?! …but she is my fiancée…  

"Elena…" I whispered she only glared back at me. I bit my tongue, what would I say to her now? Despite the icy glare…I could only find the way she crinkled her nose at me adorable. I wanted to hold her hands…feel every curve of her fingers mould with mine - it was only the innocence in my thoughts…only simple things that I wanted. Without thinking I reached my hand out towards her she walked forward and everything seemed to be perfect, the light illuminating her eyes as she moved closer to me my heart raced did she come around to love me too? Dispute our situation…did she start to feel the same way I did? Something cold was in my hand. I snapped back to reality. What was this? I looked down at my hand to see my jelly cup tipped upside down onto my hand the liquid consistency squishing into my fingers. She gave me a snarling look before she took my dirty clothes in a bag out of the room. I sighed; it really couldn't be helped if she felt that way. I couldn't blame her. I chuckled, it was a start. I'd win her heart. I get what I want.  

VINCENT:  

"How is she today?" I must have dozed and my eyes adjusted to the light flooding in from the doorway, my eyes narrowed as the silhouette moved into the room. Lights flickered before the room turned white causing me to rub my eyes. It was that nurse, Julie. I had met her the first time I came to visit Kay. She stood staring at the machines and pressing buttons before she wrote away on her clipboard.  

"Same as every other day." I finally said after some uncomfortable silence, I had spent too long in silence and found it hard to form physical words. How long had it been since Kay was here?  

"She's a tough one. She'll pull through." Julie said smiling at me, she replaced the clipboard in front of Kay's bed and began to change the IV fluids. "Jase…" I cringed at his name. "He never came in the end did he?" I looked up at her; I couldn't tell what she was thinking.  

"How do you know Jase?" I asked her, she paused for a second and her eyes wandered towards Kay's sleeping form.  

"A long time ago, Kay and I were best friends." She briefly said, I wanted to ask more but refrained myself. It didn't seem to be any of my business. "It's really none of my business anymore but, you shouldn't fall for her on a whim because you'll only get hurt." My fist clenched. Why was everyone telling me to stay away from her?! Why wasn't it my own choice? No surprise came from the next words.  

"Jase-" I couldn't take it anymore, my hands pushed her into the wall and I looked deep into her eyes. I didn't need to hear what Jase was good for or why he was good for her.  

"What is wrong with me?! Why is it always Jase?!" I growled at her, I trapped her there so finally someone would answer the questions that were stabbing at me, making me feel like I was crazy.  

"He knows her better than anyone. I for one know what it is like to get hurt by her." She spoke softly like it wasn't something to be talked about. I would have noticed if I wasn't so frustrated with screaming voices in my head. Every part of me desired an answer…desired to be loved back.  

"Why can't I get to know her? I'm sick of people dictating me…if I love her why can't I love her?" I asked Julie. She stared at me unmoved. She said nothing and I stared at her for quite some time waiting to give up but for some reason I couldn't.  

"Then get hurt. It won't be painless. Love comes at a price." It was only then she did she flick away my grasp on her, setting herself free she walked away. It was like she was doing it for my sake. "It's hard when you love an image of someone. What they're like with someone they love isn't always pretty. Kay isn't just a pretty girl." She frowned at me with a warning in her eyes before she walked out of the room leaving me with a headache of questions. This…this was so ridiculous!  

Hurry up and wake up Kay…I want answers. I need answers before I go crazy…