Chapter 28

I couldn't believe Carter had roped me into doing this.

"Sam, what are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm writing a note on facebook to say that if I die today you're the reason why!"

Carter rolled his eyes but he was still smiling. "Stop being so over dramatic."

"How am I being over dramatic? You're making me jump over a cliff - literally."

"I'm making you dive - there's a difference."

"It's still jumping over a cliff."

"Come on, people have been doing this ever since we were kids. There's even a plank here now so people can just run off it."

"Okay so you know what?" I said as I clicked my phone off and looked up at him. "You can go first."

He shook his head. "No way," he laughed. "I know you'll just run away."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Fine, but if I get injured it's on your conscience."

He looked up in the air as he placed his hands on my hips and dragged me closer to him. He raised his eyebrows as he looked down at me and he said, "Trust me, if I thought you would get hurt I would never make you do it."

I looked at him for a moment, hating the fact that I had to accept he was right.

I also had to ignore the way my skin sparked and heated where he was touching it.

"Ugh fine," I said reluctantly. "But I'm not going on my own."

He raised one eyebrow. "How do you suggest you go then?"

I shrugged. "I have no idea."

"Alright fine," he let go of my hips and grabbed my hand.

"On three we'll jump. How does that sound?"

I snorted. "Crazy."

He gave my hand a squeeze and gave me a serious look. "I've got you okay?"

I looked at him, scared shitless. But I trusted him completely. He would never let anything hurt me if he could help it.

I took a step closer to him and nodded.

"Okay."

He ran forward and dragged me with him until I was running with him.
I took a deep breath and closed my eyes before we got to the edge.

We were dispensed in the air and for a long time it felt like I was just floating, not going anywhere. My stomach had dropped when we had first started falling, but then I felt so free.

And it felt like I was never going to get to the bottom, like I had been dropping for ten minutes.

I opened my eyes and looked down, just as my body crashed into the cold water.

My muscles tensed up and my blood froze, and all I could think about at first was the cold.

But then the fact that I had no air in my lungs and couldn't breathe registered, and I would have panicked but just before I could I surfaced and took a huge gulp of air. Carter had dragged me up before I could even think to.

"Oh my God. That was incredible!" I exclaimed.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I wiped the water away from my face and looked at him. He was literally right in front of me.

"I'm fine," I breathed.

He was holding on to my waist again, not letting go even though he had finished dragging me up and didn't need to have his hands anywhere near my body.