Chapter 34

You know those stupid debutante balls that stupid rich wannabe aristocrats have? Yeah...I was at one of those tonight.

I didn't want to go. I found the entire ordeal just plain tiresome. I mean technically I wasn't even supposed to be allowed to attend since I hadn't attended any of the previous meetings or helped the organisers establish what I would be doing and when. But, of course, my mom pulled some strings and voila! Here I was, standing behind the stage in the changing room, waiting for Gina Gretchen to give me the dress they had chosen for me.

Yes, apparently they chose my dress for me and I had no say in it. 'Anyone who wanted a say should have turned up to the meetings,' Gina had stated with obvious annoyance.

Derek had asked if I wanted him to be my date for this ball. I politely declined even though I wanted to laugh in his face. The thing is, even though traditionally these things were supposed to be initiating women into society, there were certain guys who were invited due to their high status. Derek, of course, was a part of those guys. He was just another rich asshole in the wall.

Basically, without getting into a rant about Derek's general douchbagery (I know that's not a word), this was an important event for anyone who was anyone. It was important to attend and keep up appearances. The young people had to behave properly to impress the elderly who were on the lookout for any promising talent. It was all about networking and no young person could afford to mess up here. If you made a bad impression, people would talk, and if the general consensus was that you were a bad nut, then you could kiss your chances of working with any of these rich successful people in the future goodbye.

It was all very pretentious. Which was why I didn't care for it. Well, I didn't care for the stupid debut part where I had to walk down the catwalk. There was only one reason I was here - Derek.

He was accompanying the wonderful Megan. Interesting fact - I had her on tape too. She was in on Derek's plans. At first, I had no idea why she was helping him, but Megan had a few addictions that Derek could help fix. If you catch my drift.

"Samantha," Gina said with a forced smile. I say smile, but really it just came out as a grimace. The poor girl had fought the hardest to not allow me to be a part of this entire shebang, but my mother was a pretty powerful and persistent woman and there was no stopping her when she wanted something. "Your dress," she said with obvious annoyance, shoving the emerald coloured material into my chest.

I looked down at it and held in the look of disgust. I mean I knew that by anyone's standards it was a beautiful dress, but it was not my style at all. I mean it wasn't even v-neck anymore, it was more like v-hips.

I put it on to find the v went all the way down to almost my navel and my near non existent boobs were partially exposed on both sides. I had no idea who had chosen this dress but the person who had chosen it was better off not telling me who they were. I would give them a serious lecture about modesty before enlisting them in a convent where they could take a few lessons from the nuns.

I ignored the slits down the side of the dress because I didn't have the time to focus on such a small insignificant detail in that moment. I had other things to do, like get behind stage before my name was called so that everything could go smoothly.

And everything had to go smoothly.

I slipped on the high silver heels that could cause my ankles to snap and put on the ridiculously heavy diamond necklace my mom had threatened me into wearing.

I looked in the mirror to make sure everything was in place. My dark brown almost black hair was flowing down in perfect neat loose curls to just below my shoulder. My makeup was done to perfection by the makeup artist and just how I liked it. I had eyeliner with a nice flick that gave me a bolder look and no foundation because if there was one good asset I had it was my olive skin tone which had gotten even darker over the course of the summer.