Chapter 29

I had never deluded myself into thinking this would be easy. I always knew Derek would be hard to handle.

I kind of wished he was stupid. But unfortunately he wasn't, and he was more evil at the core than I was, which meant he was always a step ahead.

Chad, my friend who I had contacted earlier had come to the club, doing exactly what he was supposed to do.

Derek was there although he hadn't approached me. He was actually hiding. The only reason he knew I was here was because I had wanted him to know.

I had updated my face book status again, knowing he was watching.

Just like how he was watching me now.

Carter hadn't come to the club. He hadn't said much, but he had briefly tried to advise me against sabotaging Derek.

He was right to some extent - sabotaging Derek would make me just as bad as him. But I couldn't let it go. Even if I regretted it after, I would regret it even more if I didn't do anything. I wouldn't be able to live, continuously asking 'what if?'

But then, even if I did do it I would still ask 'what if?'

I kind of wished Carter had more of a reaction. He just looked at me passively, blankly. It looked as though it was just processing, and he didn't know how to feel. Then he responded with rational advice - advice I didn't want to hear.

He wanted me to take the high road, be the better person.

I wasn't about to let years of passive abuse and the indirect demeaning of my self esteem go without a fight. I wasn't prepared to let go of years of planning and let thousands of dollars wash down the drain.

I had lost too many battles to Derek Herry and I was not about to lose the war. A war he was completely aware of but wasn't ready for.

He thought he was the only one playing games, but I had a few up my own sleeves. And I told Carter that.

He wasn't pleased, but he wasn't angry either. He wasn't judgemental and he didn't try to pretend to understand.

I was glad I told him either way.

He'd decided he wanted no part of my plans, not wanting to involve himself in the drama. I understood because I would have made the same decision had I been in his position.

To be honest even I had enough of the drama, but I wasn't going to lose.

I was going to win.

That's why I stood in the club at the bar, watching everything closely with Guy by my side as I acted casual, free, a little excited and pumped, with a hint of boredom.

Every emotion was projected for a reason. I needed to make myself look like I was having fun whilst at the same time looking like I wanted someone (only a little) to approach me.

Chastity was standing in Guy's arms, giggling as she rested her head on his chest and looked up at him.

They were having the kind of fun I wished I could have.

My mind flicked involuntarily to Carter, all the memories of the summer flitting through my mind's-eye.

I smiled for a moment as I thought about the genuine fun I'd had with him. He was one of he few people who I could be myself around...well kind of.