Chapter 2

I ducked down to the ground, holding my chest in a pathetic attempt to control my heart beat. I couldn't believe it was him, that he was here, but there was no way I would mistake those green eyes. 

What was he doing coming back here?

"Are you okay?" Hannah asked, looking down at me with a confused expression. 

I looked up at her, then up at Emily in just pure shock. I know they didn't know him as well as me but still, they should have had some recollection.

"Do you guys really not recognize him?" I whispered in disbelief, probably looking like a crazy person at that moment. They both looked back out to look at him.

"Who is he?" Hannah asked.

"That's Carter Brown," I whispered extra quietly to make sure we weren't over heard. They both looked at me with disbelieving looks before turning their heads to look at him again.

"How far is he?" I asked as I tried to think of the many different ways to avoid him.

"About two minutes away," Emily responded.

I grabbed the both of them by the hems of their shirts and pulled them down violently. "I can't let him recognize me," I said with horror as they crouched down beside me.

"Aren't you being a little over dramatic?" Emily asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No, look..." I trailed off as I tried to think of what I could do.

"You could leave," Hannah suggested. "We can totally tell Victoria that you weren't feeling well."

"No, I refuse to run away. Besides, Victoria has been here all day keeping an eye on us; she knows very well that I'm not sick."

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Emily asked expectantly. I stayed silent as I thought.

"Fine, tell me when you've come up with something," Emily said as she started rising. She kept talking but I didn't hear her as I saw something on her chest flashing in the sunlight. I dragged her down into a crouch again and she glared at me.

"I have an idea, take your name tags off," I instructed.

"But we'll get in trouble," Hannah frowned.

"If Victoria notices we'll just say we left them in our lockers or something." 

They both rolled their eyes but took them off anyway.

"You are one odd girl Sam. If I was in your position I would be screaming out my name for him to hear," Emily sighed.

It was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Aren't you worried that he'll recognize you?" Hannah asked.

"I hope not, I look way different from when I was ten. Not only was I fat but I also had lighter hair."

"I think you should let your hair down," Hannah offered. If Emily had made the suggestion I would have been suspicious as to why she would suggest putting my hair down, but because it was Hannah I didn't question it.

But... "What about health and safety Hannah? It's not very good to keep your hair out when serving ice-cream." 

Hannah thought about that for a moment.

"Oh who cares, you look hot either way," Emily said, rising up again. "And speak of the devil, he's just about to come in," she said under her breath.

Hannah and I quickly stood, and just as we did he came in. He came to the counter and stopped in front of us, and to my relief he didn't seem to recognize me. Perhaps the fact that I kept my head down had something to do with it.