Chapter 7

They had waited for me to finish my ice cream and then we left to go down to the beach. They all walked ahead of me, talking and laughing while I walked silently behind them. They chose a place on the beach and sat down. I lay my towel a few inches away from them and lay down, my stomach feeling absolutely full. I shut my eyes and instantly fell asleep.

When I woke up I didn't feel my towel underneath me. Instead I felt something soft and comfortable and familiar. At first I couldn't work it out because of the unexpected change in scenery, but as soon as my mind was fully awake I understood that I was in my bed.

I felt something warm and rough on my cheek so I kept my eyes shut. "God she's so beautiful," I heard a girl's voice say.

"Yeah, and she doesn't even realise it," Eric's voice whispered.

"Yeah, I understand why you liked her," Declan said with his Australian accent.

"Well, I used to like her, but she's not the person I used to know. I don't know what she's been through but she's changed. I wouldn't say for the best either. She's heartless and she's a bitch. She used to be so kind and sweet, and innocent and shy. I mean, I can't believe she had sex with a guy after going out with him for only a couple of months."

"No, you're just upset," Eric corrected. I decided I didn't want to hear any more of the conversation so I stirred. I felt the hand move away from my face.

"Have you got it?" I heard him ask in a panicked voice. I furrowed my eyebrows and opened my eyes, looking around.

"What am I doing in my room?" I asked, lifting myself up. Carter was blocking my view with his broad shoulders so that I couldn't see my room.

"Move Carter," I ordered.

"Look, Samantha, about earlier-"

"Move," I repeated, cutting him off. I knew very well that he was just talking to buy him some time. The look on his face and his body language said it all for me (see, there were advantages to having been his friend), and the way he was talking.

Suddenly it really sank in where we were. We were in my room, my most private place in the world, the place where I let no one come in unless really necessary.

"What are all of you doing in my room?" I demanded.

"We just brought you up here because you were sleeping and we didn't want to wake you up," Carter quickly explained.

"No one is allowed in my room," I said coldly.

"Your mom said it was fine," he tried to reason.

"She wouldn't have, she knows how I feel about having people in here. Now what are you doing in my room?" I stood up on my bed so I could get a better look of the place, and when I did nothing was out of place.

"I think you should all leave."

"Samantha, be reasonable," Carter insisted.

"Carter get out before I beat you to a pulp and drag you out," I threatened.

"Seriously Samantha, we-"

This time it wasn't me who interrupted him, it was Sasha with a clear of her throat. He stopped talking immediately and I knew that what she had just done was some sort of code.

I watched as they all left. They clearly wanted something from me, but I just didn't know what that was. I felt my heart drop a little in sadness. They were just like everyone else, they were only using me to get something they wanted.

I buried myself underneath my blankets because the air conditioning was on and I suddenly felt very cold. I hugged them closely to me and held back the tears. Oh God why now? Why did the years of bottled up sadness have to threaten to come out now?