Chapter 15

When I got home I found Joey there, eating his breakfast.

“What are you doing back home?” he asked when he spotted me.

“I got fired,” I shrugged, causing him to choke on his mouthful of pancakes.

“Fired?” he repeated once he had swallowed his food.

“Yes, for being one minute late. My manager is going on this total bitch rage.”

“One minute?”

“Ask Hannah, she’ll confirm it.”

“Okay fine, I arranged to meet her at the beach soon anyway.”

“You did?”

“Yeah, she said she could meet me for two hours or so,” he winked, the foolish grin not leaving his face.

“Okay then, I’ll come with. You know, be a third wheel.”

“If you really want to, but you are not wearing any of your crazy dresses.”

“Fine, I’ll just wear a sun dress.”

“Whatever just hurry up, I’m leaving in ten minutes.”

“Okay,” I ran out of the kitchen and up the stairs to my room. I put on a dark blue bikini and a flow-y maxi dress.

I tied my hair up as I ran back down the stairs and saw Joey waiting there. “Let’s go,” I huffed.

“Okay.”

It didn’t take at all long to get to the beach since we took the car. Joey insisted on going to pick Hannah up from the ice cream parlour but I told him that would only get her in trouble so he finally gave in and waited for her on the beach with me.

The place we were at was pretty secluded because we walked way down and Joey wanted to bring Hannah some place quiet so they could be alone. I rolled my eyes at their lovey dovey-ness and took my place quite a distance away from them.

I lay down and since there was no one here because it was where the rocks were and it was so early in the morning I decided it was safe to remove my maxi dress so I was only in my bikini. I lay down on the towel I set down on the flattest rock I could find and rubbed sunscreen all over me so that I wouldn’t burn.

I closed my eyes and relaxed, doing nothing but waiting patiently for my alarm to signal twenty minutes had gone by so I could turn around and let my back tan.

I let every thought in my mind pour out of me so that eventually I was thinking about nothing, rotating every twenty minutes when my alarm went off.

As the day passed the sun’s heat grew more intense and I knew I would have to rotate more frequently but I couldn’t be bothered to care. Joey and Hannah had left an hour ago anyway since Hannah needed to g back to work and I knew I wouldn’t be disturbed.

Or, at least I thought I wouldn’t be disturbed until I felt a shadow over me. It was too big to be Hannah so I sighed.

“What do you want Joey?” I asked lazily, not bothering to open my eyes.

“It’s not Joey,” an only too familiar deep voice said. My eyes snapped open as I sat up to look at him, but the intensity of the sun had increased tenfold since I had closed my eyes and it was slightly blinding so I had to quickly shield my eyes with my hands.

“Carter, how did you find me?” I asked with shock.

He gave a small smirk. “Joey told me when I encountered him down at the main beach.”