Chapter 22

I went to my room, going to the toilet since I desperately needed to go and when I came out I was shocked to find Carter sitting on my bed with his forearms resting on his laps and his hands knotted together.

His eyes were a dark green when he looked up at me. “Samantha, we are going to talk,” he said.

I paused for a moment as I just looked at him. “I thought I already told you I don’t want to talk,” I told him.

He sighed, standing up so he could walk closer to me. I just stood in my place, trying to calm my heart down.

“I’m leaving in three weeks Samantha and I don’t want to leave on a bad note, okay? Can we sort this?”

He was standing right in front of me, and his big presence made me feel like I had to look at him. As I looked into his green eyes I started seeing all the hurt I was causing him. I took my eyes away from his to see that he looked like a wreck, like he hadn’t slept for the last few days due to stress.

I was so tempted to wrap my arms around his neck and hug him. My eyes trailed down to his lips and flashes of our kiss came into my mind. The butterflies started fluttering in my stomach as I realized how close he was to me, and how easily I could just grab him and kiss him.

“I won’t push you to tell me anything but I want to move on from this,” he said, pulling me out of my thoughts. I looked up into his eyes to see they were looking straight into mine. I could feel my face flush a little – did he just see me staring at his lips?

“How do we move on?” I asked him to show him I had been listening despite staring at his lips.

“I don’t know” he said, “let’s be friends,” he offered.

My heart clenched at that prospect. It wasn’t that I didn’t want him as a friend. I would love to have him as a friend. It was that I wasn’t sure how long I would be able to be his friend without cracking.

“You’re here for three weeks right?” I asked, searching his amazingly beautiful green eyes. They were still dark, and there was this look in them, like he was holding something back.

He swallowed, making his Adams apple move. “That’s right,” he nodded, looking right back into my eyes.

There was this tension in the air and I could feel it mounting as I looked up at him and he looked down at me. He was so damn close, and I so damn desperately wanted to feel his arms around me again.

And I think he felt the same, but I couldn’t be sure. He cleared his throat and looked away from me.

“I got you something,” he said.

I frowned, “What?”

He took something out of his pocket, holding a small box in his hand. “I saw you eyeing this the other day and I wanted to get it for you. Seeing as I have no idea when your birthday is and I haven’t gotten you anything for the last seven years I’d say you’re not allowed to complain,” he said.

“Besides, I already warned you that I’d be getting you presents every month until you told me your birthday.”

“I didn’t think you were being serious!” I said a little hysterically. “Seriously Carter, I can’t accept this,” I protested.

“You haven’t even opened the box,” he pointed out.

“That’s not the point. I have been nothing but a bitch to you. I am the worst person ever!” I complained and I could feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes so I turned around so I was facing away from him. “And you are nothing but flipping nice to me all the time. I don’t deserve you as a friend Carter.”