Chapter 33

I was sitting in my room, surrounded by the numerous gifts I had gotten over the years for Carter. I had always remembered his birthday and I had always gotten him something even though he was no longer here and we were no longer friends.

I had guessed every year what he might be into. He had always been into comic books so I would always locate limited edition packaged comic books every year or one of a kind figurines.

I had gotten him various other things along with the comics - every year something alongside the comic that was age appropriate and which I thought he might like. I didn't even care if I was completely off the mark or not. I figured it didn't matter what I bought him anyway since he wouldn't ever get it. I never expected to see him again.

I never told anyone about these gifts. I barely even liked to acknowledge them to myself. I would remember his birthday, get him a gift and put them away, acting like they never existed until the next year. It was a weird thing to do, I know. But I didn't want anyone to know, or even accept the fact that I hadn't completely gotten over him.

I'm pretty sure I'm crazy. I mean I still don't completely get why I had bought presents for a guy I thought I would never see again.

If I was completely honest I would admit that it was because despite the fact that I felt completely abandoned by him and he'd left me in the mud, I had always hoped I would see him again. I would also admit that even though he didn't seem to want anything to do with me I still wanted to hold on to the friendship we had because it had always been my most pure and treasured relationship even when I was just a kid.

I had pushed Carter to the very back of my mind, way back and pushed him deep deep into the depths somewhere so that I barely thought of him...

But I had still loved our friendship and I could never bring myself to forget it or let it go completely. I mean I moved on, but I still treasured what we had. Because it had always been special and so far unmatched.

Don't get me wrong, Guy and I were pretty darn close but it was never the same - not only was Guy just nothing like Carter and therefore we'd do completely different things like stay in and watch movies rather than go out exploring if he had his way, but also since he had found Chastity it was just not the same. He obviously put his girlfriend first and I would never ask him to do it any other way but it meant we had spent a lot less time together.

Although the pet names fiasco would never change. It was just so us. I loved my friendship with Guy too, and he kept me fit by dragging me to the gym or making me run with Chastity in the mornings. He had stuck by me, stood up for me, helped me and hung out with me. He had remained a friend when people had isolated me and called me a slut. He was amazing in his own right and I loved him as a friend, as a best friend.

But it was still different to being friends with Carter. As much as Carter had hurt me by leaving so abruptly and never getting into contact, the pain could never get rid of the place Carter's friendship had created in my heart. His friendship had had too much of an impact on moulding my character, confidence and thoughts for me to ignore it.

I focused back on my room. I knew it was time to give Carter back all the gifts, and no, not because it was his birthday, but because he was leaving tomorrow and I had no idea at this point if I would make it to his birthday since my plans weren't going to plan.

I mean Derek was being a real pain in the ass and Carter was leaving and essentially if I couldn't make it to Carter's Birthday bash I would never see him again. So I really wanted to spend every moment I possibly could with him before he left, and I wanted him to know that even though I had done everything I could to forget him, I never really had...or at least once a year I did remember.