1

(This book is on Lindsey's PoV)

I'm an orphan.

To speak the truth, never knowing my parents never made me want to meet them. They abandoned me at birth ; my father visibly was an influent businessman that dominated America, and when he found out that junkie he banged one day, in order to have sex with someone else than his wife, was pregnant, he forced her to carry the child and then give it to adoption. She dies days after giving me birth. Overdose. My dad, I don't even know who he is. And I honestly want nothing to do with him, even though he's rich and probably regretting his acts - because having a daughter is good publicity for parents all over America.

When Tobias Long lost his wife and son in a car accident, he was devastated. Patrick would have been 23 today. Funny how time flies. I unintentionally crossed his path while I was escaping the sixth foster home in a row. When he saw what kind of people were 'taking care of me', he insisted to adopt me. I became his daughter the next day. Of course, being adopted at 13 is not usual. Most parents wanted a cute little girl with no name and no attitude. But Tobias obviously was different. He wasn't the problem. Things with Allie, in the beginning, were complicated. I came into their lives four years ago, as she was 17. She just lost her brother, and didn't want another siblings to fill the blanks. But we got used to each other, and she soon became protective when she saw some girl was willing to beat me up.

Having a big sister such as Allie Long is the best thing that ever happened to me. When I got into high school, she was in fourth year. She introduced me to her friends - especially her two best friends, Alex and Tobin, who she's known since the day she was born - and made herself understood : whoever would touch me would get in trouble. I eventually made some friends along the way, and that's how I am a normal girl in her final year in high school. Allie was now in college into town - she chose this one to remain near us - and was studying sciences. She actually is a genius.

As I am making my way to the kitchen to eat something, I hear some laughs. Of course, Bati's here. If I had to describe him in a single word, let's say he's a dork. He and Allie have been dating for seven years now (yup, they only are 22) and went through a lot together. He always had been his rock. I actually like him : he was the one convincing me to play soccer, even though Allie had tried several times. She used to invite Tobin and Alex over, and the five of us would play hours on Saturday evenings just to practice. When Tobin started dating Christen three years ago, she came along and joined the party.

I smile and appear to their sights. I mis-measured the situation : there actually are more than just four people in this room. I immediately see Kling, one of Allie's teammates in the Thorns, their college team, making her way to me, handing me my yoghourt. She then hugs me - she's so tiny ! - and smiles.

« Hey, Linds, what's up man ? » she asks, smiling big. « Long time no see ! »

« Hey » I let out.

I look around.

Tobin and Christen are quietly talking in a corner of the room, holding hands and locking eyes as intensively as they use to always do, while Alex, Servando (her boyfriend for two years now) and Bati were having a debate about the Champions League. The thing I like the most about Allie and her friends is how they've become a family. They introduced their persons to each other, and everybody accepted Tobin when she came out. It actually wasn't a big deal to anyone, since religion and gay weren't repulsive. While I am trying to find myself a spoon, I come across Ash, another of Allie's best friend, who is energetically talking to Kealia, probably about their upcoming game against UCLA. She gives me an high five, quickly followed by the forward and Alyssa, who was standing in a corner, a beer in hand (at 7:30 AM, yes.)

I finally find a spoon and turn around, nonchalantly leaning against the table. I then observe those people all over my kitchen, while I still don't see Allie. When Tobin comes near me, she gives me our usual high five, and a chill smile.

« Where's the rest of the team ? » I ask, really curious.

Tobin smirked. « Well, Syd and Arod had to pick up Chens, who is as always late. Carli, Hope and Abby already are in college because they had early classes, and your sister is nowhere to be found » she quickly explains.

I thank her and look around. When Allie finally shows up, she comes straight at me.

« Honey, it's freaking 7:50. Your classes start at 8:00. What are you still doing here ! »

« Shoot » I exclaim. « Moe's gonna kill me ! »

I quickly kiss my sister's cheeks, greet everybody in a hurry and grab my things. Once I close the door, I immediately send a text to Moe. Her and Eric were supposed to be waiting for me, as they always did. I curse myself, asking myself why I am always late. Of course Allie bringing all her team to breakfast isn't helping, but I've got no excuses. When Moe answers, I'm quite relieved : she knows me too well. Ever since I got here, we sat next to each other in class and it kinda sticked. She's a very nice girl, and knows I'm always late. Her boyfriend for about a year now - Eric Bird - is a baseball star in our high school.

When I finally get to my classroom, it's closed. I sigh : I hate arriving in the middle of a lesson. I carefully knock on the door, before opening the door. My teacher surely isn't happy about that, but since I apologized, he just makes me sign to go and sit next to Mallory, another one of my friend. My biology class is the one I like the most. I mean, why learning all those stuffs we won't remember in two days time ? I sit down and looks at the board.

Mal seems to be excited.

« What's up ? » I ask, frowning.

She looks at me with childish eyes. « Haven't you heard ? They decided to re-open the soccer team ! »

« Wait, you mean, our team ? » I ask, raising my voice.

« Mrs Long, something to share with the rest of the class ? » the teacher ask, rolling his eyes.

I look at him, too happy to even get mad. « Yes ! Is it true that they chose to reopen the team ? » I ask, making a few people laugh.

Mr Mendel just smirks. « Yes, it is. I'll be there to cheer you guys on. Now, back on biology, please. Because as much as I appreciate your soccer, Mrs Long, I don't like talkative students. »

I smile and focus on my work. Kinda.

The thing with our soccer team - we called ourselves the 'Legends FC'. I don't know where it came from, but we made it up. In the beginning, only Moe and Cari, were on it. They forced me to join it - since I was their friend - and we became good. I guess a lot of the girls will be happy about that news. It usually goes this way : Jane Campbell, who's in second year, is our usual goalkeeper. Then, there's Cari Roccaro, Abby Dahlkemper and Danny Colaprico in defense (the last defender was a fourth year, who finished school last year). Cari and Danny are in fourth year like us, while Dahlkemper is one year younger. Then, in the midfield, we're the 'fab four', also known as me, Moe, Sam and Andi Sullivan, another third year. We try to rotate as much as we can, while I am going forward from time to time. Then, there's Mal and Ashley Sanchez, a second year, who are playing forward.

Our team is really cool, but it's gonna be complicated to come back after that pause. The things usually aren't that easy for women's soccer. We need to be associated to a foundation in order not to pay for everything, but for that we need to win the championship this year. And there are some very good teams in there. And we're missing a player, and have no substitution. I mean, there may be this Rachel Daly chick - a British girl - and some girl named Andressa, who came from Brazil to learn English. I know that Moe will try to make them play with us.

As I am trying to focus on my work, I feel Mal lifting her eyes and sigh.

« Bro, a newbie in the middle of the year. That's weird. »

I looked up, and immediately set my jaw : that girl is pute cuteness.