13

Two weeks later

"Stop it ! I'm ugly as fuck on those pics !" I complain.

We are currently lying down on my bed, until Emily found some pictures of me when I was younger. Even though I am trying really hard to take them from her, she insists and resists my assaults. I even try to tickle her, but my attempts just fail one more time. That's when she fights back by doing the exact same thing. I immediately scream and try to remove her hands from my ribs, because it tickles like hell. 

Once the storm has passed, and that we both are laughing our asses off, she smirks. 

"Oh, come on, that's not so bad ! I mean, looking like a young Donald Trump surely was an embellishment at the time" she says with sarcasm. 

"Jerk." I let out, rolling my eyes 

"Say what ?"

She begins to tickle me again, but this time I am able to grab her wrists and inverse the situation. When I lock her arms against the bed, sitting in a dominant position, her laugh just increases as I am trying to keep this situation victimizing. 

Her laugh just warms my heart. "Okay, fine, I'm sorry I criticized this beautiful picture of yours ! Get off me now !" she begs, tearing up because she is laughing too much. 

"You wish." 

With that say, I then completely froze. 

She is literally lying down under me. That didn't strike me down before, but now that I am releasing her wrists, there is a tensed atmosphere between us. When I feel her straightened in a seated position, I just get off her, coughing. She looks down and blushes. God, I want to taste her lips right now. But I can't : she's vulnerable, and I've only known her for a month or so. I can't take advantage of her. 

She coughs as well. 

"Well... That sure was awkward. Wait, are you blushing !" she asks, her childish eyes locked on me. 

I shake my head. "You are !"

That makes us laugh. 

Right when we're trying to regain our seriousness, there is a knock on the door. A few seconds later, Tobias Long passes his head on the slightly open door, and asks to see me. I leave Sonnett with her homework and follow my 'dad' on the kitchen. He closes the door and faces me. He's quite a sexy man even though he's quite old (well, 50 isn't really old to other people, but it is for me and all teenagers) : his blonde hair are short in a military haircut, while his piercing blue eyes are just so similar to Allie's. 

He orders me to sit down on my usual chair, as he is standing right in front of me. His facial expression is not one to be read, so I just begin to stress out. I hope he isn't mad that Emily spends a lot of time here. I mean, he knows what happened with her family. 

He smiles. 

"Lindsey, we need to talk about something..." he starts.

But I won't let him finish. "I know she's spending a lot of time here, but, like, her mom is in jail and her sister is brain dead so I can't just tell her 'go and spend your whole day on a house you hate, on your own !'. I mean she's a nice girl, and I don't want her to be alone, and-"

Tobias smirks. "It's all good, kid." he says in a neutral tone, with amused eyes, as I am frowning a little bit more. "Actually, I don't mind her staying here. What I wanna tell you is that I am seeing someone." 

I straighten. 

"Seeing as in 'looking at' ? Or are you dating someone ?" I ask, trying to be sure to be specific about the subject. 

Ever since his wife died, Tobias never dated anyone. First, he was doing so because he didn't want Allie to get hurt, an then it just became an habit. 

"Seeing as in 'dating', kid" he admits. 

I take his hands on mine. "I am really happy for you, dad. You deserve to be happy." 

He pulls me into a tight hug, and I bury my face on his neck. I am glad I found a man that is standing out for me. He really is the best dad I could've hoped for. 

I love my family. 

**  

I invited Emily to stay for dinner, which she accepted with a huge smile on her face. We're now on the kitchen, preparing today's meal. Tobias is out on a date, and Allie invited Tobin and Alex to spend the night here. 

We all sit down around the table, Emily and I on one side, Allie and Alex in front of us, as Tobin is picking the spot on the left. Typical. I look at my sister, and then at her two best friends. I know they've known each other for seventeen years - they are nineteen, duh - and Alex was even born in the same hospital room than Allie, only few days apart. Those are friendships you dream about : no drama, no problem. Each one of them has a boyfriend (or girlfriend in Tobin's case). Even that is funny : Alex met Servando because he knew Bati, and then Tobin met Christen at one of Allie's parties. Everything is related when you have your childhood friends by your side. 

The thing I love the most about the 'Three Amigas' (that's the name Ashlyn came up with when they joined the team together), it's the way that I have never been left out. I mean, when I came into the Longs lives, and that Allie wasn't thrilled about that, Tobin was the one trying to convince her, while Alex was just being sweet with me. When Allie and I started getting along, and eventually call each other 'sisters', Tobin and Alex became like family too. I honestly am very lucky to have Allie in my life, and also all of her friends, who now consider me as a part of their family. Sometimes, I feel like I am their child. 

We start eating, as Alex looks at Emily. 

"So, you two are friends now, right ?" she shamelessly asks, raising her eyebrows. 

Ooh, I don't like that sassy tone. I throw a quick glare at Emily, and then put my attention back on the brunette. 

"I guess you can say that" I mutter, eating my pasta. 

Before Alex can say another silly thing, Tobin takes the lead :

"We heard what happened to your family... I'm sorry, kid. If you need anything, just know that Linds' friends also are ours." 

I can feel Emily tensing. "A-about my f-family...?" she asks, her voice shaking like hell. When she looks at me, and then whispers, I feel my throat going sore. "Did you tell them about my dad ? I thought you'd keep it a secr-"

"I didn't say shit" I hiss. 

Tobin, who feels the tension, wisely adds : "I mean, for your sister being brain-dead and your mother an asshole." 

Allie must've given her a kick in the legs, because she frowns and looks at her. My attention immediately drops back on Emily, who seems uncomfortable. She is blushing, and I can't help but bite my lips. I then pray for nobody to have seen it, otherwise I'll have to go through a questions session, and I hate those. 

Emily just sighs. "O-Oh, yeah. Thanks." she slowly says. 

My sister suddenly seems to have an idea. "How about Sonnett staying here overnight too ? We should totally throw a slumber party !" 

"No" I let out, angry. 

"Yeah !" Alex exclaims at the same time, while I am just giving her my 'what the fuck' look. 

When everybody is looking at her, Emily just shyly nods. 

"O-okay, I guess." 

I roll my eyes : I bet one of them saw the lips-biting. Tonight is gonna be hell.